Friday, April 19, 2013

Is There a Requiem For a Dead PC?


If not Mahler, maybe Phillip Glass or PDQ Bach?   You know, something like "Windows on the Fritz!"

Eddie has had my desktop for four days now and he can't seem to get it to read the OS discs, or any other for that matter. He describes loud whirring sounds that shouldn't be happening.  The drive has no problem playing DVD movies and music CDs, but not the Windows 7 disc.  He's all upset.  He prides himself on troubleshooting all versions of Windows, but the solution to this problem is alluding him.

I tried to comfort him. It's a 6-year-old computer after all, purchased when the last one bought the farm in October of 2007. I suggested that if he didn't get the CPU to cooperate over the weekend that he stop trying.  There are two options ahead: I've found another HP with more memory and faster everything for about the same cost as the 6-year-old one.  Or I can save all this unnecessary energy and stress and go into debt for an additional $200 and get a Mac - Mini.

Yes, I realize there would be a steep learning curve, and I'd prefer an easier option, but I cannot waste time on virus scanning everything that is downloaded to the PC, and worry about other viruses or worms creeping onto the hard drive to destroy my data.

Whatever path I choose, I'll receive 5% cash back using Discover Card, if I shop through the "shop discover" option on the website. This has helped me accumulate tidy sums over the years to apply to account balances, or purchases that I wouldn't normally consider for myself.  Recent example: the iPad. 

Whatever happens, I am happy to have this laptop so that I am not totally out of touch with cyber-world.  The laptop itself was one of those surprise deals that I couldn't pass up. Sale price plus the "Staples rewards" earned brought the price down to close to $200. Initially purchased to take along on holiday, it's coming in handy during this mini-crisis.

I'm tired of thinking. My head is about to explode I need to go now.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...