Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Amazing, Exciting, Spine-Tingling Day Off

 Or, not.  You be the judge.

The heat wave finally ended overnight after a few severe storms moved in from the west.  It was 68'F when I headed out to run the weekly errands - a few tacked on for good measure - and to shop for the week ahead.

When this was done and the car was loaded down with essentials I tried calling the friend who has the computer desk to give me (the one he quickly outgrew) but there was no answer, I didn't let it ring more than 5 times, in case he was still asleep. Another time, perhaps.

After storing away all the groceries and everything else, I took a brief walk around the neighborhood to kind of get to know the quiet little streets here.The image above is an art piece standing on the corner by a Beauty Salon and an Art Gallery.  Don't even ask me what it's all about. (click to embiggen)  When I got back home I emptied a couple of boxes and am now doing laundry. It's taking some getting used to having a washer and dryer right downstairs, but there's a lot to be said for that convenience. And, no, I haven't worked up the confidence to install the new kitchen light fixture, in case you were wondering.

All the windows are open and the service tech arrived a while ago to change filters and do whatever they do to the heat/AC units of all apartments to make them run efficiently. He is easy on the eyes, but appears to be dumb as a box of rocks.  No offense to the box of rocks, please. Anyhoo...

This upcoming weekend we celebrate our Independence on July 4th. The holiday doesn't hold any real meaning since it's become commercialized; all about BarBQ, liquor, and fireworks (mostly illegal and many stoopid, drunk people end up in the hospital ER with burns and other injuries related to events of the day) so I am happy to be working the entire weekend.  Not having to drive on the weekend is another bonus, to be sure.

Frozen patriotic red, white, and blue margaritas will be flowing and we'll be very busy Friday and Saturday, but the Fourth itself is usually a letdown; most folks coming to town for the fireworks that evening tend to race one another out of the city as soon as the show ends to see who can be the first motorist to cause an accident. Unfortunately, this happens year after year.

From what I have been told, the restaurant usually closes early on the 4th, no matter what day it falls on. Not that is matter to me since I work lunch, not dinner.

I dreamt about an old favourite short film that I studied in film school.  The Red Balloon from around 1956 was a very well done film for kids or the kid in all of us. I was lucky enough to track it down on YouTube and plan to view the 4 parts this evening after supper. If you've never seen it, or heard of it, you can check it out for yourself. Don't mistake "The Flight of the Red Balloon" for this one. The real deal is HERE.

Go on, watch it, and feel like a kid again.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Red Ballon link! I haven't seen that since the first grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Rick, Thanks for making me feel older than dirt! ;-)

    Just kidding. Actually I saw it in the theater when I was in the 4th grade.

    I hope you enjoyed it as much, if not more today.

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the movie the Red Ballon too when I was in grade school. You must be older than dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron
    Oh? Did they hold you back a few years? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...