Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bum Times to Good Times...

As I sat steaming (literally - it was already 78' at 7:15am and as soon as I got in the windows fogged up) in the car determined to get a few errands out of the way early, I thought about many things.  Mostly the heat and what life was like last June and what I was doing (if anything) to make changes. (click image to embiggen for an important message.)

At the time I was working two jobs - the jewelry store and, with only 2 months under my belt, the restaurant. I was working 7 days weekly and enjoyed the comfort of taking the bus into town on work days at the restaurant. Park at Park n' Ride and all is well for the day. The evening drive back to the apartment however, was often a nightmare. Last June found me commuting to both jobs 7 and 9 miles each way as I lived in Lewes. Fighting the tourists in traffic on the Coastal Highway was good for an extra daily prayer when either destination was reached safely.

As usual, money was tight and jewelry sales were few and far between. Although the restaurant was a new experience it was the best thing to happen in years. Being told in the interview that it would be seasonal position and if I fit in they would ask me back next season (this one) I prepared to be laid off after Labor day. As we all know that didn't happen, instead was asked to stay on (if I wanted to) on the part time basis to accommodate both businesses. Yes! I wanted to stay on!


Now, I'm working 6 shifts weekly  at the restaurant (the jewelry store closed after Christmas) and loving every minute of it. I have moved into an apartment in town within walking distance of the boardwalk, beach, work, and all the things that make this town what it is.

At each stop today it was interesting to remember the sometimes dire circumstances of last year - all involved money, the lack thereof - and mystified as to how I got through. When I hit the pharmacy last year it was for a prescription; this year for bath products. At the cleaners last year it was to get a suit cleaned to wear to the funeral of a friend; this year it was to drop off slacks and dress shirts covered in mildew from being it storage for 3 years. Yes, most were brand new and will probably fit better now that I've dropped a few more pounds.

No, I won't analyze all the mishugass, but, well, all I can say is WOW! I'm still here. Surviving yes, also kind of thriving and that is the key, at least for me. I have begun to care again - about myself.  I've always cared for/about others. There is a difference between caring for oneself and caring about oneself. Balance.  Thanks to co-workers and my blog buddies for their encouragement, insights, and support.  On the right track again - side-tracked no more. May it remain so.

All errands out of the way and back home by 10:45 am as the temp reached 88' (it is now 94') with the high expected to reach 96' with increasing humidity. If only it would rain.

Enjoyed a cold beer in a frosted glass with lunch that really hit the spot. Two loads of laundry are done and I'm working on a recipe for supper tonight. I think it will be something quick and easy, like a stir-fry something-or-other.  Don't want to heat up the kitchen.

Plans are to attack replace the shower head tomorrow morning before getting ready for work. Wish me luck.

Update: The garlic/roasted red pepper Hummus turned out OK, but needs a little something more to kick it up a bit.

The Van Gogh "Double Espresso" vodka was sheer heaven.  Caffeine and liquor, what more can one ask?  But, you have to love coffee to enjoy this one.

And so it goes.

2 comments:

  1. I would say "Wow!" too. You are so much more relaxed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am very happy for you and the way your life has turned out. I hope your path continues to become brighter and brighter as each day goes by. By the way, we had a torrential thunderstorm up here near your old lodging. Hopefully you got some of that too. Keep on truckin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear you're doing better then a year ago.

    Take the rest of the jobs around the house slowly, we don't want to see you getting hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...