Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Tiny Celebration

This evening marks the beginning of the third week in the apartment. Nothing exciting planned to celebrate; only a martini followed by a nice dinner. I'll save the fireworks for next year.

An arrangement was made with a friend to scope out a couple of kitchen sets I've turned up nearby, but at the last minute he had to work, so that's on hold until next week. He has a large van that is recently empty following his family move to a new home, as well.

The plan to walk about town, beach, and boardwalk was canceled due to rain and wind. Not to worry, they will be there another day. So, instead of those other fun things I've been finding places for items that remain in boxes - at least those for kitchen, bath and bedroom, the living room things will have to wait for the congestion to clear - while thinking of interesting ingredient combinations and the possibility of some bulk cooking.

I'm still debating whether to buy a Microwave oven, or not. I've cooked so much in one for the past 3 years, I'm too excited about roasting and baking again.  But, I had a brain cramp of magical proportions regarding this dilemma and I may have come up with a solution. How's this?

Summer will make it uncomfortable to use the oven for baking or roasting large items that require long cooking times using high temperatures.  So, it would probably be best to use my Cuisinart counter-top Convection Oven instead, for small, one meal portions.  If I purchase the microwave I could store it until Fall then make the switch and store the convection oven til Spring. The full oven will help heat the place in winter and the bulk cooking can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for quick and easy dinners.  Ta-Dah!

Anybody?  {crickets}  Hmm.

No matter what, I cannot bring myself to think about slow-cooking any time soon. The crock pot quean has removed the crown, at least for now.

The search for cake racks, an oven thermometer, and a vegetable steamer basket has brought poor results.  Some people don't even know what these things are.  Scary, I know.

I'll have a go at finding these online, instead. Amazingly, no one around here has ever heard of the Spanek Vertical Roasters, either. Spanek used to be readily available in kitchen, gourmet and even department stores, but I found them online at their site. Their roasters are quick and healthy ways to roast everything from Cornish game hens, to turkeys and ducks - if your oven is large enough.

I found an old recipe for roasted red pepper and garlic hummus, so I'm going to make a small batch this evening. The garbanzo beans are simmering now.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. No one cooks in a microwave; they are for reheating things; you keep on cooking !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use both stove/oven and microwave for our cooking. Veggies are cooked in the microwave; other stuff on the stove or in the oven.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...