Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Has a Happy, and a Day Off

 Don't ask. I just has a happy. So, there!

The plan to purchase a microwave was back on my gaydar after receiving a $10.00 gift card from Lowe's Home Center, and I was enticed by the deal.  Microwave prices have plummeted as their cooking capabilities have improved. As I said, I was tempted.

However, after carefully examining the gift card I found that it expires on the 24th of June - next week - and there is nothing extra in the monthly budget for that expense. It's OK, I'm used to bad timing and I can live without the oven until there is disposable income.

Then, fortunately, (or unfortunately) I balanced the checkbook and realized how close to the bone the expenses of the move have cut. That was sobering.

The original plan for this day off was to begin early with that trip to Lowe's at about 7:30 am.  Since that was off the list, I ran a load of laundry and enjoyed a nice breakfast, then hit the road (lists in hand) an hour later.

Visited all the kitchen gadget stores searching for stainless cake racks, but none were found.  Don't people bake cakes or bread anymore?

Stopped for a bottle of "martini mix" (aka Gin!) and was given a sample bottle of Van Gogh Double Espresso Flavored Vodka as a bonus. It's a Dutch product (it figures!) and it's either new, or new to me. When I crack it open I'll post a report here.

A quick stop at the hardware store yielded picture hanging hardware and the all important can of WD-40. I can get pictures off the floor and squeaky things to stop squeaking.  Heavenly Bliss!

I was careful to make a list of not only foods needed from the market, but also cleaning items not available when I moved into the new apartment. Fresh baguettes were still hot from the oven and I couldn't resist that luxury and bought 2 - one to freeze and enjoy later. Shopping once weekly is a bit more time-consuming, but saves money and time in the long run. I'm still getting used to the idea of monthly meal planning rather than weekly.

The planning is more about evening meals since breakfast (when I make it) is usually eggs in some form and toast, and lunch is a shift meal at work 6 days a week. Concentrating on that one important evening meal has the creative juices flowing again and I'm coming up with a few interesting concoctions. Usually prep is done before work and refrigerated (and marinated) for the day.  Then it's thrown together when I settle in, and cooked as I enjoy a "festive" and check email.

I may still be poor, money-wise, but I has a big happy, and life is getting better. Oh, and yes, rain was forecast again (for the 6th day!) but so far there ain't nuttin' of the sort.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. May you have a long run of happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the Van Gogh Vodka. Had to Google it and found out it's brewed here in/near Rotterdam and sold solely in the USA.

    I would love to hear what it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it great when life becomes an pleasant adventure?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...