Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shopping Locally? Not so Much.

I have exhausted myself in search of a veggie steamer and oven thermometer locally, having been asked why the need of an oven thermometer when ovens are so accurate these days.  Well, older ovens sometimes require a recalibration to assure correct temperatures. And the veggie steamers they showed me were large electric appliances, not what I was looking for. See the image at right. No need for a microwave when this is around. Specialty appliances designed for a single purpose are a waste of money and energy.  Not to mention storage space.

I have never understood the need for an electric hot dog cooker, bun warmer, or rice cooker. What's so wrong with a pot, water, and rice - and a few minutes on the stove-top? Works for me, and no clutter on the counter-tops.

So I decided to order these items from Amazon.  They ought to arrive in a few days.  Why didn't I do this in the first place? I wanted to keep my business in the community and wasn't aware that specialty kitchen and gourmet merchants were so ill-informed. We live and learn. Unfortunately for me, it's usually the hard way. Believe me, when the package arrives I will do a little "show and tell" with local merchants to raise their awareness of such things.  It's my civic duty, after all.  If they are going to serve this diverse community, then they better get their act together and do it right.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Ooops. I actually have at least two of the vegetable steamers that you were seeking. One is in an unopened box. When I moved I couldn't find my original vegetable steamer so I bought another one.....you guessed it...at a Rehoboth kitchen supply store. Of course they didn't know what I was talking about so I found it in THEIR STORE on my own. Such is the status of hired help these days. The young clerks rarely, if ever, know what I'm talking about when I ask for a speciality item. We old folk are on our own when shopping for specific items. You should know by now that the young folk are just there to look pretty. They know nothing and they don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to buy locally myself but there is a limit.
    I hate to say this but there's one of those steamer thingies you were looking for (or one very similar) up in our attic in a box somewhere.
    Or at least there was before the attic goblins commandeered the space. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't cook rice to save my life
    I would love a rice cooker.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...