Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"In Comes Company" - With Neil Patrick Harris

While I loved  Raul Esparza's Bobby  in the 2008 Broadway revival of Company, in a very unique production, I was a bit put off by the characters having to be their own orchestra, and sometimes missing a musical cue. Hey, that happens.

Of course my fave was Larry Kert and I mourn his passing to this very day. However...

With his musical abilities blossoming I suggested to other "friends" of musical theatre that NPH would make a great Bobby for a revival of Sondheim's masterpiece, COMPANY.  Now there is this news.
Given the relentless work schedule of Neil Patrick Harris, the “How I Met Your Mother” star and perennial awards-show host, one sometimes wonders if the outgoing message on his voice mail ends, “Whatever you’re calling about, my answer is yes.”
Mr. Harris has just said yes to another exciting proposition: he will star in a production of “Company,” the Stephen Sondheim musical about a perennial bachelor, his dating life and his good and crazy married friends, to be presented by the New York Philharmonic in April, the orchestra announced on Friday.
The performances, which will run from April 7 through 9, will be produced and directed by Lonny Price, who with the Philharmonic has also overseen star-studded productions of “Sweeney Todd” and “Candide,” and will be conducted by Paul Gemignani with orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick.
In a telephone interview Mr. Harris praised Mr. Sondheim for “filling every beat and note and moment with some intention.” He added: “It just allows the performer a great opportunity to mine as deep as they choose. My day job requires a shallowness that will be fun to play against.”
In this “Company” Mr. Harris, a veteran of the Philharmonic’s “Sweeney Todd,” will of course be playing Robert (a k a Bobby, Bobby Bubi and Robert Darling), a seemingly un-pin-downable single man celebrating his 35th birthday.
The character is not unlike Barney Stinson, the lothario Mr. Harris plays on “How I Met Your Mother,” though the actor said there were differences between the roles.
I would love to see this, but...read the rest HERE.

Olives and supper await.  It's cold and the wind has been brutal - 20 to 30 mph - so I look forward to hunkering under the covers after a shower.  Sure would be nice to have someone to hold me too close, someone to know me well, someone to pull me up short and put me through hell and give me support for being alive...but.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I've come to love NPH. I wonder if he'd say yes to that.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...