Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Slippin' & Slidin' Toward 2011

The journey to work yesterday was quite a challenge, with streets still snow-covered and icy. Many businesses had been closed so their respective areas of the sidewalk were not touched, so one had to find a way to the street or plod through 12 to 15 inches of hard pack. The walk took twice as long as usual, but I took it slow and didn't do any Tonya Harding pratfalls.

The restaurant was busy for lunch, thanks to the kids being out of school and families suffering from cabin fever. Though there were few parking places available on the avenue, folks found spots nearby and were happy to find us open. We were just glad to be back to work and busy.

The sun was out most of the day which helped to melt some of the snow and more pavement was available when I walked home after my shift.  A huge difference in just a few hours.  The temps are to continue to rise over the next few days, so if these damned winds ever subside, the New Year may ring in on a happy note.

The car remains buried but I asked a friend/co-worker to try to find a snow shovel for me on his way home last evening, not that I hold much hope, but worth a shot. He may also help with the big dig, if I ask.  I hate to ask, but...we'll see, Don't want to pay any more visits to the hospital, if you get my drift. (Did I really say 'drift'?)

I'm scheduled to work 8 days in a row with my next day off being Jan. 5th.  We're all hoping that the restaurant remains busy though the weekend. We are almost totally booked for New Year's eve and New Year's day lunch with that evening filling up fast. There are a few reservations for lunch today and tomorrow, always good sign.

Coffee is finished, a light breakfast next. Then it's off to find out how much ice is under foot as I walk the 4 blocks to work. I have to take a different route for the moment.  The path of least resistance is the one I'm on.

More later.
*

5 comments:

  1. Hopefully you got your car out safely. We too were pummeled - 18 inches! The wind finally seemed to subside last night (Tuesday). I'm ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you're damn glad you not living on Willow Grove (or whatever "Willow" it is) Road now. If so, you would be TRAPPED! I know you'll never forget last year's "adventure." :)
    Again, I don't have remind you but please be careful. Remember, there is NO dignified way to fall on the ice and snow. Hold your head high, keep smiling but keep an eye on the feets. You don't want to go spilling your beads in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rick: that is the subject of my next post. The wind finally diminished here, too. And yes, I am ready for Spring!

    @Ron: It's not the beads that concern me, but the PEARLS! They would never be found in the snow. Yes, I am careful. No pumps, just sensible shoes, precious. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the restaurant is doing well. Be careful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA!! It's the pearls that concern you. Good one.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...