Sunday, January 16, 2011

Susannah York, R.I.P.

I remember her best as Superman's mother,  "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" and the Albert Finney classic "Tom Jones" but what do I know. She was lovely, talented, and very, very cool.  The Guardian:

Susannah York, the British actress whose gamine looks and demure persona made her an icon of the swinging 60s, has died at the age of 72. She passed away yesterday following a long battle with bone marrow cancer.

York won acclaim for her roles in They Shoot Horses, Don't They? – the 1969 film role for which she was nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe – as well as A Man For All Seasons in 1966 and as the feisty section officer who took on Kenneth More in the stirring second world war epic Battle of Britain in 1969.
She also had an extensive and critically acclaimed stage career, which included roles in The Singular Life of Albert Nobbs and Henry James's play Appearances, and continued to act late into her life. She was also a children's author, penning two fantasy novels.

Her son, actor Orlando Wells, yesterday described her as "an absolutely fantastic mother, who was very down to earth".

"She loved nothing more than cooking a good Sunday roast and sitting around a fire of a winter's evening. In some senses, she was quite a home girl. Both Sasha [his sister] and I feel incredibly lucky to have her as a mother," he said.

Playwright Sir Tom Stoppard also played tribute to York, recalling his first meeting at the dawn of the 1960s with a woman who was to win a legion of male admirers. "I remember back in 1961, when I was a young journalist, I interviewed her for a magazine for her film The Greengage Summer, and I still remember how completely charmed I was.
 More is HERE.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember her specifically but from that picture, she was simply gorgeous.
    Perhaps I should go rent one of her films.
    Take care, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rick: I don't know Wells' work. Spill!

    @Mark: She's only in Superman for a brief cameo at the beginning, so I would suggest "They Shoot Horses" and the always wonderful "Tom Jones" a romp with the young & beautiful Albert Finney. Neither is a good one for the kids to see at their ages.

    Yes, she was a beauty. Thanks for the comments, guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first time I saw her was in "The Killing of Sister George", a very radical movie for its time. She died too young, very sad.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...