Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Auto Repair, Tires, & Too Many Olives

Made it to the Auto dealership at 7:30 am, for the appointment to have the recall problem parts replaced and was pleasantly surprised that I was on the way back to the beach before noon.  No charge for the repair, of course, but the technician told me that while the tire treads were fine there was severe dry-rot on the sides near where the steel belting holds everything together and that all 4 tires should be replaced as soon as possible. 

The dry rot is caused by weather changes and the car not being garaged.  Parked out in the open and exposed to the elements shortens the life of tires.  Who knew?  All my previous vehicles had been garaged, safe and well taken care of.  I don't think this car has ever had a roof over it., so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  Driving more, or less (as in my case - once weekly) has no effect on the problem. It's the weather. The poor baby.

Of course, thanks to a few friends, I'll get a second opinion, and go from there. 

On the way home I made a few stops to take care of errands and did a little grocery shopping for the week.  Eureka!  Everything on the list was on sale and I saved a bundle. 

At home I slid a pork roast into a orange, sesame, garlic marinade and put it into the refrigerator. Ran a load of laundry, and made a remoulade for shrimp (one of the items on sale) which I haven't had in a while.

I was feeling so giddy following the productive day that last evening, I enjoyed 3 martinis! Listened to music, read a few fave blogs, checked email, was informed that I missed my blogiversary (again) and posted that information.

Took a shower, brushed teeth, and snuggled under covers. No pain.

I slept well until a dream where my Nikon was borrowed by someone I haven't seen in many years, who then used it to record some dirty mob or Mafia shinannigans and all of a sudden the mob was all over me with questions and accusations; warning me to give them the memory card, or else.  I discovered (in the dream) that I had no idea where the card was located and fumble through the camera's innards, other parts keep falling out, as I work feverishly to put them back in their proper places - where they do not want to stay.  All the while the wise guys are hammering me with bizarre questions, to which I had no answers.

I woke up twice, reminded myself that it was a dream, but (like using the 'pause' button) returned to the scene where I left off, as soon as I fell asleep again. Finally, it was more than I could handle, so I got out of bed at 4 am, made a cup of tea and tried to shake the memory of that super-intense dream.

No more 3-martini evenings for me.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. OK, so for Lent just fast for the third martini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought going to bed sloshed was a guarantee for a deep rimm sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I thought going to bed sloshed was a guarantee for a deep rimm sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got your car fixed.

    3 martini night...you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Will: You sound like clergy folk. It's all about loopholes. I like the suggestion a lot.

    @Ron: I don't see the word 'sloshed' anywhere in the post. That is your assumption and it would be wrong.

    My belief is that the additional martinis induced the dreams that were most uncomfortable.

    @Rick: I went, oh boy, did I went! Great fun evening, I must say. Hey, when you live alone you have to be your own entertainment and I was well worth the ticket price.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...