Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eye Round, Eye Glasses, & Secure Documents.

Well, considering the financial situation around the country these days, I feel pretty fortunate this afternoon.  It's been a rewarding two days here.

Yesterday I started calling around to set up an eye exam (long overdue) because I could tell the vision just isn't what it ought to be. The last one (includes the current glasses was August, 2008. In fact, just weeks before the billboard image at right was created.) Yikes!

There were no appointments available until the middle of April. And the cost (without insurance, mind you) averaged $175.00  I don't know what happened.  Did Opticians leave the state suddenly never to return? Is there a critical Optician shortage? 

In a last ditch effort I called an upscale Optician who advertises in the local gay papers (imagine that!) and though he carries all the chic designer frames, you know, the ones that can cost a thousand bucks or more, he did have an open appointment yesterday afternoon. I grabbed it.

For some reason, on the way to his office I decided to check out a thrift store (in search of a locking file cabinet) and there happened to be one right by the door.  Couldn't miss it and the price was right. Tiny bit of rust on one bottom corner - $10.00 and for an additional $5.00 it could be delivered.  Cheap enough, since I could never carry the thing out of the store, let alone up the stairs to the apartment. Done.

The exam was painless and reasonable.  The cost, including photos of the back of the eyes, came to a little over a hundred bucks. Where do the other people get off charging twice that?  Of course, there was some hard selling for new frames - the least expensive was over $300.00.  I just need to see, not impress anyone, jeez!  I got a copy of the prescription, paid for the service and was on my way in about an hour.  Done.

Top Eye Round roasts were half-off at the market, so I bought one to cook last evening.  (I get 3 dinners and at least 1 lunch out of a roast.) However, a NOLA friend sent a new recipe (longer cooking time), so I prepared a pork and veggie stir fry instead.  The Roast is going into the oven after this post.  I will let you know the results - good, bad, or feh.

Called a co-worker who knew of an eyeglass frames outlet online and went cyber-shopping.  Found a nice frame, chose the coatings (UV & scratch), entered the prescription information, and placed the order for bi-focals. The total, including shipping, was a little over $40.00.  I am not kidding. It will take about 10 working days for the finished product to be delivered. Done.

The file cabinet has been delivered and I can now store my files safely and securely.  A little sanding and paint should work nicely to end the rust problem. It's black, but that's OK, as they say, black goes with everything without trying.  This new purchase will allow for the disposal of 2 more large plastic file storage boxes and I am very pleased. Yay, me!

*Red Alert* I suddenly have a craving for Leyden, a Dutch cheese that I cannot get anywhere around here.  It's a semi hard cheese with cumin seeds (some have caraway seeds) embedded and a light crisp taste. (If I am wrong I know I will hear from Peter on this one.) Yes, I get cravings for fresh spinach, avocado, artichokes, even pickles, but this is a first. I used to buy this cheese at a small family-owned dutch store in NW New Jersey where I could also get fabulous Dutch licorice - salty and sweet. But I am not there anymore.
(sigh!)

And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. I was right there with you until you started writing about the cheese. Now I have a craving for something that I've never tasted, but is sounds SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you call W? Here I'm to the resque. Leyden is with cummin seeds, but not all cummin cheese is Leyden.
    For a reasonable price you can find it here: http://www.gourmet-food.com/dutch-cheese/leyden-cheese-100437.aspx

    Verification: cheessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peter: I thought you would be in bed, and was joking in the post, but you have a way of smelling out posts where your input may be required.

    You always bring a smile to my heart.

    Thank you, I will check out the link in an effort to satisfy my craving.

    Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the moment I'm just 5 hours ahead of you, from Saturday it's back to six, DLS starts then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next year you can get an annual eye exam compliments of Medicare. Take advantage of it. I go to the Delaware Eye Insititute on Rt. 24. Cute doctor, excellent service. Doesn't cost me a cent. Then, with my prescription in hand I went to BJ's (I still get a chuckle over that acronym) and got a wonderful pair of glasses (coated and bi-focals, not blended) for ONLY $140.00 Granted they're not the black rimmed lollipop glasses so in vogue with the fey crowd in Rehoboth but they work quite nicely for my simple, unaffected lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Will: I am sure you would love Leyden. And as you can see, Peter has given us all a place to visit and bring some home.

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...