Friday, August 26, 2011

Bracing for Irene & Evacuation

Hot man measuring plywood for the front doors.
preparing boards for the front doors
Yes, there was southern-style hurricane humor involved.
Yes, well, whatever...move on.
At closing. We ALL needed a Rita.
Evacuation of the lower peninsula began last night when the DE Governor issued a mandatory order to move-out for all "visitors" from Fenwick Island to Wilmington.  Some did not follow that order, choosing instead, to chance one more day at the beach.  Yes, the stoopid burns!

Was called into work early as it was determined that we would open for lunch and play things an hour at a time until the governor or town officials made a decision to shutdown and evacuate all beach communities.

There was lots of activity when I arrived; construction crew was measuring and cutting plywood sheets to cover the large doors. An inventory was taken of all items that needed to be moved out of harm's way.  Not that it will matter if we get a direct hit.

There came a mandatory evacuation order from the governor aimed at all residents of beach communities within three-quarters of a mile of the ocean.  I live within 4 blocks. 

I am not going anywhere. This is a peninsula!  There is nowhere to go to be safe. I live on the second floor - some 12 ft. above street level and another 2 feet above sea level - I have plenty of food, water, and Bombay Sapphire to see me through.  I may lose power, but unless it gets really testy, I am staying here.  If it does get dangerous, I will make my way to a nearby shelter which will be open tomorrow afternoon.  I am not stupid.

A hurricane survival kit is at the ready, with batteries to power flashlights and radio easy-open canned goods, first aid kit and a blanket. I have a land-line telephone so when the cell-towers go out - along with the electric power - I still have a connection to...what?

My real concern is for those who have no idea what is coming and freaking out over the hysterical commentators on the TV who are showing footage of Andrew, Rita, Katrina and others, just to scare the pants off of those who think they're watching recent footage.

Um, it is time for my second batch of olives and supper.  Stay safe everyone.

More later.
*

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to you. I hope you don't get blown away or flooded out. I'll be watching for an 'after' report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you my friend. Again you're going through yet another weather related drama. Would would think you had enough drama with that snowstorm that stranded you without power and heat for a week! :) You just keep putting yourself in harms way. Oh, I guess I do too. Let's hope we both make it out of this latest drama intact and with a minimum of damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I recognize that restaurant! Missed you the other day.
    Stay safe!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...