Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Of a Boob & Young Prudes

Who'da thunk it?  The sensibilities and morals of some of my eastern European and Russian co-workers were tested today as a new mother breast-fed her baby.

It wasn't like she was in the center of the dining room with a spotlight focused on her breast and baby.  No, she was in a booth with her husband, mother, and sister enjoying a light lunch and the baby started to cry.

And no, she didn't whip the thing out and wave it around like some underpaid stripper.  She was discreet, using a sort of over-garment designed for the purpose, much like a shawl,  with the baby nestled under the fabric getting its fill.

Two servers had to leave the floor and one began to gag so loudly I thought she might heave right there and embarrass herself and the restaurant.

I got an ear full after the family left, and I was shocked by what I heard.  That was disgusting.  She shouldn't do that in public. I don't want to see these things while I am working. And on and on, ad nauseum.

I explained that breastfeeding in public isn't against the law, at least not any more.  I mentioned a few other observations, but they would have none of it.  Finally I said as simply as I could, a baby was hungry, mother was capable of feeding it, no one got hurt, no other diners were aware of the feeding, and ultimately - it is what it is, so get over it and yourselves.

That didn't sit well with them and they grumbled for an hour, re-telling the story to anyone who would listen. Such childish behavior from otherwise bright young adults amazes me even as I type this post. We never know what taboos live deep within the minds of people from other cultures.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Just wait till they have babies of their own, I don't think they'll be carrying special prepared bottles of Formula with them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where were the owners and why didn't they deal with these Servers? Or do they leave the dirty work for you?

    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful there! You're going to lose your reputation (that extends well into New Jersey) as a MNSOB who hates small children.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...