Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Scent of Autumn & The Earth Moved, WTF!

There was a decided nip in the air this morning as I left for a scheduled dental appointment and a few errands.  The temperature was 62' F and the air had that scent of Autumn  that shocked, considering it's mid-August.

I already woke to the shock that Nick Ashford had passed away. He and wife Valerie Simpson, co-wrote some of the soundtrack of my life, mostly about love.  It is nice to note that he and Valerie lived the truth of those songs in their long life together.

For anyone who doesn't know Ashford and Simpson's Motown stuff, they also wrote "I'm Every Woman" for Chaka Khan which became a gay Disco anthem of sorts in the 80s. I played "Ain't no Mountain High Enough" in his honor.

Mostly, it's a quiet day.  Blue sky, cool & fresh air are inviting me to the ocean.  Hurricane Irene will likely head our way by the weekend, so I'd better take advantage of the beach now.

The cleaning chores will have to wait until my return, if I choose to address them.

***As I typed that last bit, the entire building began to sway and did so for about 20 seconds. At first I thought it was just me - positional vertigo, or something - but the window blinds moved, as did the iced tea in the glass on the desk, and there was an audible rumble.  Very strange, indeed.  Did the earth really move here?  So close to the ocean?  I remember feeling the earth tremble in NYC in the early 70s, thanks to a shift of the Hudson Fault, which was confirmed the next day.

If no one else experienced this event, I will commit myself to the local looney-bin next chance I get. 

More later.
*

4 comments:

  1. I felt it!
    You're not crazy. Okay, maybe just a tad.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cue up the Carol King

    ...I feel the earth move, under my feet, I feel the sky tumbling down....

    Hope you are OK and free from collateral damage.

    Will J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cue up the Carol King

    ...I feel the earth move, under my feet, I feel the sky tumbling down....

    Hope you are OK and free from collateral damage.

    Will J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill and I were driving down Rt. 30 in Downingtown, Pennsylvania enroute to Wegmanns and lunch. We missed the "earth moving beneath our feet." Some people get to have all the fun. "Positional vertigo?" Is that the same thing as "dizzy?" I don't know but for some reason you and "dizzy" seem to go together. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...