Friday, May 31, 2013

If You are Rude...

Before going into the title subject, I'd like to give a brief update on weather:  It's freaking' 98'F!!! No end in sight.  WTF!  What happened to spring? Well, at least it's not tornadoes here.

And now for something completely different:  A tale from the restaurant: One of the rules listed in our menu says "If you are polite, we're polite. If you are  rude, we'll  politely ask you to leave."  It's been busy since the holiday and families with little ones not yet in school have been spending time at the beach. And at Dos Locos. At some point today we went to a waiting list because there was no room in the main dining room and not enough staff available to open the private dining room. There were quite a few reservations, so those tables could not be sat.

A family of 7 arrive and are not in the mood to wait for a table. A loud woman bickers with me, pointing to various empty tables and making seating suggestions that are outside of the fire codes.  I explain the reservation situation and she is not moved.  She wants to be seated and served. I tell her to calm down and I'll take care of everything. As she continues to point and demand I try to ignore her as I handle those on the waiting list and those with reservations arriving to be seated.

She is relentless and finally I throw up my arms and tell her again that the wait is 30 minutes.  Does she want to give me her name or go elsewhere. She is indignant, puffing herself up like an old hen, but finally gives me her name.  However, though her party goes out to sit on a bench, she remains - arms folded, eyes shooting daggers in my direction -  as she watches all those tables she wanted fill up. She is not having a pleasant time. She tries to interrupt me pointing to yet another empty table.  She just doesn't get it.

Meanwhile, servers were asked to come in early so the private dining room could be opened. Minutes later as I tell her we could seat her party, she bolts through the doors (almost knocking down incoming customers.)  She doesn't care.  As I led the party to a fine table and explained the menus, she stood, arms folded, as the rest of the party sat down.  She was not done.

"I want you to know that I am not happy that you were rude to me in front of my family." There were 3 other large parties already in the room, and she was playing to an audience. I asked how she thought my behavior rude.  She clucked her tongue and said that I had embarrassed her in front of her children.  I looked at the others seated and realized that they wanted to crawl into a hole and pretend they didn't know her. "No," I said, "if anyone is embarrassed at this table it is due to your behavior, not mine. If anything, you have shown your children how not to behave in public." I thought my response a bit harsh and that she would leave. She bristled, but made no move to leave.  "Well, what do you have to say for all this?" she asked.  She is beet red at this point and wants some sort of apology.  You know, the customer is always right.  Wrong. She ain't gonna get it.

"It seems clear to me at this point that you've made a fool of yourself, not only in front of your family, but the others in this dining room who don't give a fig for your attitude, either." I looked into her eyes and said in the most calm tone I could muster,  "If you choose to dine here again, you will be gracious and allow me to do my job unhindered by your hysterical, bullying nonsense. Enjoy you meal."  I smiled and walked away.

About 5 minutes later, the boss was at the station with me as a woman appeared (she was part of that awful party); she leaned over to touch my shoulder and attempted to shove a $20. bill into my hand.  The boss noticed. "What's all this about."  I ignored him.  The woman said that I deserved this for putting up with her friend's rant.  I told her that these things happen at times, and I'm not one to step down.  She (still trying to force the bill into my palm) said she appreciated my handling of the situation, my kindness and patience with that woman.  Now, the boss is beside himself with curiosity and wants a full report.  I am not about to give it. The woman gives him a brief history.  I am not going to take this woman's money,  The boss intervenes saying, we'll give it to your server.  After all, he has to deal with her from now on."  The woman put the bill in his hand, smiled, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Under her breath, so  the boss couldn't hear, she whispered, "she deserved what you gave her, and then some.  Thank you."

The boss was not satisfied and insisted on details.  I refused to give any. He was not happy.  He'll get over it. I took care of a situation to the best of my ability and there was no reason to rehash, or relive it. Who would want to do that, anyway?

And so it goes.

*

2 comments:

  1. This weather makes no sense. It was in the 40s here in Upstate NY last weekend. It was in the 90s today.

    I would never ever make it working in a restaurant. You have my utmost respect.


    ReplyDelete
  2. the heat sho brings out da crazies, don't it?

    what a bitch! unfortunately, there's so many more just like her waiting in the wings to pounce on you.

    hope you had a few olives tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...