Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Techie Success! Well Kinda, Sorta


I have been unable to get the (now, twice revived) PC to recognize the printer drivers, trying everything I knew to make it happen.  It's been a long time since I've been able to print anything. So today, I took a different tack.  Searched for any file remotely resembling a printer driver file and (depending on the date) deleted those most recent files.  Now, if you know MS Windows, you know that the fucking OS stores files in many places, and some are obscure, even unknown,  to the average user. Don't ask me why.

Being far from a techie geek, I made one last ditch effort to download the driver files and get the printer working again. Although the new driver is a generic one for all of this series of printers, I got it to work. I am back in the printing business and so far, no problems with the driver on my model.  No errors or bizarre characters appearing.  Just great, solid text.  That's all I wanted, anyway.

Of course, there's still the issue of the OS recognizing my programs that were functioning before the heart attack.  Stranger things have happened. So, for now, no Photoshop, Pagemaker, or Paint Shop Pro, but MS Office is working fine.  Well, of course it is,  silly - it's from Microsoft.

Have I mentioned how much I loathe Microsoft?  Oh, I did? Never mind. The only version of Windows that ran without a hiccup was Windows95. The plug and play was without a doubt the best thing about it, especially considering MS past and present. What went wrong?  Dunno and don't care.

It's time to set out on a search for a new computer as I start my 6 or 7 day work schedule next week. If this tired ol' body doesn't fall apart, I hope to put aside enough for a holiday (not enough for the Alaska cruise) and a new computer.  Probably will be a Mac. Yes, I hear the learning curve is steep, but those who make the journey never look back.  Besides, from what I hear and read, Windows 8 is a disaster and all new PCs come with 8 pre-installed. Sounds like a rerun of the MS Vista nightmare.  Oh Bitch, please!

It's been raining all day, so all the indoor chores are done - and the additional success with the printer - I am feeling pretty good.

Well, it's 5 o'clock somewhere and I smell olives. Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. vista (shudders)

    my boss orders computers from dell with windows 7 installed for some of our instruments. we ain't even touching 8; nasty.

    our desktops at work have xp or 7 OS; same with my home computers.

    what did the olives tell you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15 years ago! I switched to Mac and never went back. Drink the Kool-Aid and join us!

    Sean

    Www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 years ago! I switched to Mac and never went back. Drink the Kool-Aid and join us!

    Sean

    Www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breenlantern: I don't drink kool-aid, but will indulge in one of your infamous Cosmos sometime in the future. I am going to make the jump soon.

    Hope this means you are doing better. I send healing blue light to you.

    anne-marie: I am so tired of Windows I cannot imagine upgrading to anything remotely related to Microsoft.

    I am going to bite the Apple!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...