Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Weekend: Drained and Over It.

There is not much to add to the title.   Yes, by any standards this was the best Memorial weekend in years. Mainly due to the misfortune of those areas still to recover from Hurricane Sandy last year. There were many more visitors from NY and NJ this weekend.  They seemed puzzled by the tiny size of RB: the short boardwalk, and small arcade and Funland rides.

Still, records were broken by many stores and restaurants over the past 4 days, so aside from myself - and other worker bees - the world is a happy place. Since Thursday I have logged more than 40 hours on the job. The usual is about 24 -26, tops. But, it was all good.

Sadly, I never did connect with the bloggers visiting for the holiday weekend. I hope they had a great time and very sorry I couldn't catch up and enjoy some down time with them. I sent a text message to Sassy Bear asking about any plans. I didn't receive a reply and that turned out to be just as well. It was so busy at the restaurant that I remained on site until rather late, which would have made it impossible to be a part of whatever plans, if any, were made. I just hope they enjoyed their visit and not put off by the madness that is summer at the beach.

Gratefully, today was a bit more low key with slightly less than 200 diners served  at lunch. My relief was a no-show (he was stuck in traffic having driven visiting family members to Phila Int'l Airport in the morning.) Poor guy. I was on auto-pilot for the last 3 hours on the job tonight.

Physically drained - have the bruises to prove it - and emotionally I just feel like so many nerve endings short circuiting all at once. If you could listen to my heart right now, you'd probably hear something like rice crispies - snap, crackle and pop - with no audible heartbeat to speak of.

The place was filling up again, so I didn't stay for my after shift drink. Walked home in quiet, peaceful surroundings and about to prepare a few olives for the evening. I am not hungry nor in the mood to prepare some dazzling recipe, anyway. Maybe after I come down, a bit of cheese and small salad would fill the bill.

I look forward to my one day off tomorrow. Errands to run, but by afternoon it will be chill-time around these parts.

The next book on the Kindle is "Slaughter House Five" which I haven't read in many years.  I hope I am up to the challenge.

And so it goes.
*

6 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you are cheerful, albeit tired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You work hard my friend. The two crazy guys are very fortunate to have you as an employee and a friend. Enjoy your day off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Nothing like a little light reading after a really busy weekend.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear you didn't get to see the breens, other than when they dropped into DL.

    tomorrow, after errands, put your feet up and kick back a few olives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh crap! I did respond to your last text, cajun. I thought it was odd you didn't text back, but thought maybe you just got tired and crashed. Sorry :-( I'm glad we at least got a sneak peak of you and sorry we came in when it was so busy :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it was a crazy busy weekend in RB. Enjoy your much deserved rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...