Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Teaching Moment, or Two…


Today is the second day on the new antidepressant scrip.  The drug is a generic
version of something called Lexapro.  I Googled it. So far, it looks to have the same side effects and most others of its kind, so I’ll just have to watch myself and stop at the first sign of becoming a Stepford Wife.  Or something like that.

Spent another uneasy night followed by a morning of nausea and eventual vomiting. Showered and shaved which made me feel better, and hightailed it to the cancer center for the Lab work and the “teaching survey” related to the upcoming Chemo “Revlimid” which, it turns out I may receive before the weekend.  We shall see.

Results of today’s blood work are not bad; at least the numbers are steady and not rocking and rolling as in the past. In any event, I’m to receive one unit tomorrow morning, JIC another quick dip occurs over the weekend. I am to arrive at 7:45 am, so ought to be finished and unplugged by 11 am. Like I say, We Shall See!!!

The Revlimid must be a pretty toxic medication. Most questions and information related to straight men and women and their sexual desires. Seems Revlimid (lenalidomide) is in some way related to thalidomide, which as we all know caused thousands of birth defects 50 years ago, and which is why the sexual relationships are so important to address with the patient.  If they only knew! 

The survey was intensive and the company has a rigid followup policy. I must check in on their website on the same date every month I am taking the medication, to answer questions and bring them up to date on any possible adverse side effects that may surface down the road.

If I sound thrilled about this new drug, I’m not. As the saying goes, “I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired.”  So what else is there to do?  Nuttin’ honey.

As I mentioned earlier, the CBC test results are steady, some even rose a tad, but from what I’ve read today Revlimid may take away that good news during the initial 2 or 3 weeks.  See why I’m not so thrilled about this whole thing?  


I guess it beats one or two of the alternatives, but only just.  I think I’ve said this before, but “We Shall See.”

And so it goes.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...