Thursday, April 17, 2014

Am I Glowing Yet?

Sound the Crumpets! I am officially a Chemotherapy patient.  Don’t clap, throw nickels.  Please! If you need a night light, I am for hire!

Finally got the questions answered by a different cancer center operative yesterday afternoon and started the new med right away.  I was told the voluminous pages of warnings are mostly scare tactics to force people to “respect” the medicine.  Really?  Funny, that.  All it did was scare the ever-loving crap out of me.  I mean, just one look at that bio-hazard emblem on the plastic zip bag containing the bottle of tablets is enough to set off a red alert in anyone’s head.
OK, that’s done and I am on the yellow brick road to who-knows-where.  But, I’m on the road. A new adventure everyday, right?

The sister made it through the first surgery OK, but the second one had to be cancelled.  They ran into another few snags that would have had that surgeon in her upper body for another 6 to 8 hours.  The collective opinion was that she would be at more risk than originally thought.  They may decide to re-examine her case at a later time, but I don’t think she’ll go for it any time soon.

She’ll be on the ventilator for about 48 hours as they re-inflate her lungs and monitor the results of the most important part of the surgical procedure. My niece called thrice to update me. By the third call she was quite subdued having seen her mother in the CICU out cold, pale blue and terrifyingly cold in that room full of bells, whistles, lights and switches.

The niece wasn’t allowed to stay long, but swears that my sister knew her when she held her hand for a few minutes, before being run out of the place. 

I slept better than I thought I would. The stress of waiting for sister news coupled with the stress of my own situation both being somewhat resolved gave me a little peace as I took the evening meds and prepped for bed.

Off to the Center this morning for the weekly labs and hoping my numbers continue to rise to the plus side. Maybe I won’t require transfusing again tomorrow, which would be nice, but we shall see.

As I said, I’ve felt fairly well this past week and hope the Chemo doesn’t fuck up the feeling.

And so it goes.


*

5 comments:

  1. thanks for posting something about your sister. so if I see a glowing beam in the southeastern sky, I will know it's YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life can hardly be described as "F-u-n writ large", C. Its very unpredictability ought to help prevent ennui settling in, but envy you I do NOT. Best wishes with all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get superpowers, I will be so jealous. Actually, you have exhibited superhuman endurance and stamina. You have earned your mask and cape a hundred times over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wayne, you've got SuperPowers! The way you write about what's ailing you takes a lot of inner strenght.

    Hope you get more, and better, good news from your sister, but also that this med will kick in and will give back your old drive.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...