Saturday, August 9, 2014

Random Musings

Made it through another 5 days of duel Chemo injections.  This is the third
cycle of 4 for this drug. My body is bright technicolor from the thighs to shoulders (another first) but so far the previous side effects haven’t made an appearance.

The injections are limited to the thighs, upper arms, and stomach and for some reason, the colorful reaction happened almost immediately. There’s red, yellow, pale blue and a strange sort of purple/wine color after a few days, but it’s always just at the puncture site. Very weird to look in the mirror - which I try to avoid whenever possible.

The Evening Primrose oil has become a hit with other patients at the Center. I made copies of the webpage and one patient told me that she paid thrice the price when she bought hers locally; she'll be ordering from Amazon next time.  I'm glad it's helping people. While the oil cuts the stinging, and itching, it has no effect on the discoloration.  OK, I’ll take what I can get at this point.  I’ve 2 more days to go - Monday & Tuesday - and I am done with this cycle.  There are 3 weeks to heal before the next, and final cycle next month. 

On the way home I stopped at the Pyrex store to look for a new mixing bowl. 
My favorite one broke the other night and I am lost without it.  It was very old and the only one remaining from a set purchased about 15 years ago. Traffic was the usual Friday bumper-to-bumper anyway, so it was a no brainer. Also, getting back into the stream of traffic is much easier from where I happened to be going.

As fate would have it, the Pyrex/Corning folks are discontinuing this line of bowls - medium size with a wide rim hand grip - and they were 50% off. Original price was $10.00 Sale price $5.00 Minus 20% coupon - I paid $4.00…Well worth the stop, I’d say.

Another whole set isn’t necessary. I seldom use a smaller, or larger one anymore. There were 3 (my size) bowls left and I was tempted to buy 2, but went for the one. There may be someone out there like me who enjoyed the convenience of this particular design and they’ll find one here before they're gone. 

Made the purchase, popped back into the middle of the traffic madness and was home in less than 20 minutes.  Very good for this time of year.

I was saddened to learn that James Brady has died.  Brady was Saint Ronnie Reagan’s Press Secretary who was shot in the assassination attempt against old
Ronnie back in 1981.  He and wife Sarah had a place here at the beach where they would come to rest and recoup after one or another medical procedure Brady endured just to function.

Brady was always in a wheel chair and loved the fact that Dos Locos was handicap accessible in many ways. They used to come to the restaurant, just the two of them or with a small group.  They loved their cocktails (especially Sarah) and enjoyed Darryl’s famous margaritas, to boot. They were very generous and supportive of the downstate beach communities.  He will be missed, but at least now he is pain-free.

Receiving quite a few compliments on the beard lately. I’m flattered, indeed.  Truth is I grew it because I was tired of looking at my skinny, drawn, pale face. It does make me look a little heavier and healthier, but honestly, I am glad I grew it again.

Anyway, I’m elated to have the entire weekend free. No poking until Monday. The weather is grand - high of 78’F and low humidity. I see a boardwalk stroll on my gay agenda all weekend. 

And so it goes.
*

12 comments:

  1. So many good products that manufacturers discontinue. So frustrating. I got caught in the Summertime Crawl this morning. I had to go to the UPS store on Rt. 24. Thought I would go early and miss the Saturday rental turnover traffic. LOL. Have a wonderful weekend. I'm not going out again. Oh, perhaps to see how far the traffic is backed up on Rt. One, which is right behind our house. Lately, about 2 in the afternoon traffic is at a crawl even where we live. I'm glad LSD is getting business but "getting the business" in more ways than one. Really looking forward to post Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron: You CHOSE to hit the highway on a Saturday morning in August. Therefore, you have no right to complain.Whatever it was could have been done on Monday. Just smile and go with the flow, as it were.

      Delete
  2. so you have a (partial) rainbow flag on your bod? advertising is everything! ;-)

    interesting tidbits about james brady; he went thru hell for that idiot of a president. not fair.

    I too am digging the beard, esp. since your throwback pix shows you with one. you are a handsome devil!

    "No poking until Monday." - the bad kind :) the good kind :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no good poking, if you get my drift. ;0

      Delete
  3. I'll compliment the Beard from here...nice Beard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fearsome: Thanks, I had one for so many years, but it's taken some getting used to. I must say, trimming isn't as lopsided as it was when I was younger. I have to keep mine shorter, if I had yours I'd look like a hermit in search of a cave. I'll take what I have.

      Delete
  4. I passed along the Evening Primrose oil information to friends in my recovery group. I hope it helps them deal with the pain and stinging as it did you. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking the boardwalk sounds nice. It's been years since I have been to the beach. I hope your weekend was enjoyable.

    Take care,
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you live near a beach? I live 5 blocks from the boardwalk and beach and when I was working 6 and 7 days could only walk the boards once a week, if that. There were some seasons when I smelled the ocean, and that was all. If you can get to a beach, do it for yourself. It's very calming. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
    2. I'm about an hour and a half drive from Rehoboth Beach. It just seems I never get there. I hope your Monday chemotherapy went OK.

      Take care,

      Calvin

      Delete
    3. Calvin: If you DO ever make it to RB I hope you will let me know so that perhaps we could break bread together or enjoy a Happy Hour. If you are a morning person we could walk the boards at dawn, as long as my strength holds out. If you live in a land-locked area, consider a trip if just for the inner peace. It would be nice to meet you, if you are so inclined.

      Delete
  6. I am always in favor of men with whiskers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...