Saturday, August 30, 2014

Somehow, I Made it!

It all went smoother than I could have hoped. After e-mailing the family about my needs concerning this baseball game, I felt more comfortable. They covered all the bases. Sorry for the sports metaphor.  

Got the shot this morning and returned home. Family picked me up at 9:30 - our young athlete was already at the field - and the family was considerate enough to find a seating area where the morning sun would be blocked out by the surrounding trees.

When Zack saw me he broke into a smile that could encompass the Universe.  I had no idea that it was so important that I be present.  I am so glad I made the effort and was there for him.

Great. I still don’t know what I watched, but mimicked what the other family members did and nodded when tossed a verbal aside now and then, to fill me in on what I still don’t understand.

Both teams played well, as I understand it, and Zack’s team won the day. And in a scary moment when he was finally off the field and ready to leave, he threw his arms around me and said, “We won ‘cause you could be here with us.  You’re going to get better now.” 

 I. Almost. Lost. It.

After some back and forth it was decided that I needed my rest and couldn’t join in the post-game fun, so I was dropped off at the apartment.  Before I knew it Zack was out of the van and giving me a big bear hug and thanking me under his breath for not failing him; that we’d celebrate future triumphs together and we’d see one another soon.

I don’t know what he sees in me but whatever is good for him matters to me. And that’s that. His parents are the best and are well aware of the situation. Zack’s girlfriend also approves.

Still have a slight fever and feeling congested, so I am going to bed now.

And so it goes.
*


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to make it to the game. It sounds like you and Zack both made each other's day. He sounds like a wonderful young man.

    Take care,
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re the kind of person people wish for in their life. Wish you were my uncle growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children give such pure love and hope. It was important to him that you be there and you came through and it means more to him then you can ever imagine....I am glad you went. I read often but first time commenting

    judy -udy

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy you were feeling well enough to attend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...