Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Embrace the Crazy

There was a time when the idea of being crazy wasn’t attractive. After all, as Lily Tomlin put it, “crazy’s not for everyone - some people just can’t cope.” But embracing the crazy has been helpful when the stoopid burns the eyes and ears.

And so in the vein of Ruthie the Duck Girl in New Orleans, who was a fixture in her wedding gown and parade of ducks, I made the journey to the crazy side (shit, where is John Williams when you need him?) and have been relatively happy with the results ever since.

Validation came in a small theater on Sullivan Street in NYC as I listened to the dialog uttered by the ingénue “please, God please, don’t let me be normal.” Relieved, I enjoyed the rest of the show.

In recent years however, an alternate reality has elbowed its way into my little world, tapping on my window demanding attention, and I don’t like it one bit:
  • Betrayal,
  • Blatant lies,
  • Covert bigotry,
  • Ignorance masquerading as virtue,
  • Overt bigotry and unbridled hatred for anyone who happens to be different.
The so called ‘sane’ talking heads piling on one another, talking over each other in an attempt to make their racist, homophobic points – sorry - talking points.

It became overwhelmingly difficult to breathe this evening so I’ve turned off all news.

Then a song interfered with my brooding; this song brought it all into focus, well, at least for me. Note: this is in three quarter time.

If music is no longer lovely,
If laughter is no longer lilting,
If lovers are no longer loving,
Then I don't want to know.

If summer is no longer carefree,
If children are no longer singing,
If people are no longer happy,
Then I don't want to know.

Let me hide ev'ry truth from my eyes with the back of my hand,
Let me live in a world full of lies with my head in the sand.
For my memories all are exciting.
My memories all are enchanted,
My memories burn in my head with a steady glow;
So if, my friends, if love is dead,
I don't want to know.

Trouble is, now I do want to know. But...so torn.
I really want to go back to crazy land. Maybe after the election.

And so it goes.

Did you see that??? Never mind.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...