Saturday, October 25, 2008

Music: Mimi & Richard Farina

I never know what I am going to find on YouTube, and never would have expected to find this video. This is one the few kinescopes that exist of this incredible duo. Mimi is the younger sister of Joan Baez. Richard wrote some of the best folk/protest songs of the 60s.

Sadly, Richard was killed in a motorcycle accident after leaving a book signing in California, before I could purchase the book in New York. The title: “Been Down so Long, It Looks like up to Me.”

When I found this video a few days ago I cried like a baby. They were so beautiful, so happy, and so full of life and love. Richard played a mean dulcimer.

I sent this video to my best friend who lived through those days with me and she promptly replied noting that his shoes are shined, and Mimi is in a lovely dress and low heels. Not at all like the performers of today who think they're doing you a favor if they arrive wearing undergarments.

Thanks to Pete Seeger for having them on his show.

All that said I believe this song is as relevant today – if not more so – than it was in the 60s.While the video is a bit fuzzy the lyrics are quite clear. Enjoy!



It is so time for a cocktail.

And so it goes.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...