Friday, October 24, 2008

How About a Trip to Nowhere?

Hmm?

So, today two friends are off on a cruise; next week a friend is heading down to Belize for two weeks of work and play; another friend just returned from a two-week holiday in Toronto where she enjoyed taking in theatre and concerts, and soaking in that beautiful city. Warm temperatures and sunny skies were an added bonus. (Sigh)

Due to my not sleeping well lately, it’s been suggested that I take a few days off and go away, if only for a change of scene.

Wouldn’t that be lovely, I said.

Well, then? She asked.

I explained that from each paycheck a few bucks are put toward an Alaskan dream cruise, and since the economy has tanked, unemployment is rising, and my own job possibly at risk, I cannot simply “take a few days off for a change of scene.” No, the money doesn’t go into the bank, nor is it under the mattress; I keep it in my training jock, if you must know. Talk about paper cuts…ouch!

Having applied for part time holiday positions at various shops and told that there may not be any holiday hirings doesn’t offer much hope.

I’ve noticed that some people just don’t get it. Most are living the same lifestyle as if everything was just dandy. Many are in denial, oblivious of the losses to their 401k plans.

Just yesterday, a guy told me that it cost less to fill up his Suburban these days - only $85.00, down from $130.00 last month. He insists he’s getting a bargain. Talk about short-term memory loss!!!

As for me, I’ll continue to squirrel away a few bucks – slow and steady like – for that cruise. Sure it may take a year or two, but it could take that long to find someone to accompany me on the journey. Seems everyone I know has already been there and done that.

Unfortunately, by that time Sarah Palin’s scandals may have FUBAR’d the state and cruise lines discontinued operations. Wouldn't that be just my luck?

Take a few days off? How about I turn off the phone, shut off the radio and TV, and catch up on reading for a mental – if not physical – getaway?

Works for me. I’m off three days in a row next week, so I think we may have a plan. Three days of comfort foods and books.

And so it goes.

*

1 comment:

  1. FUBAR'ED? I know what that means. Just like it is now, SNAFU.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...