Thursday, August 14, 2008

Another Day in The Life...

Nothin’ Says Lovin From the Oven.

The workweek went surprisingly well and while the days were long, the hours were fun filled for the most part. And that’s saying plenty for an August. If you have ever lived in a beach resort during this month, you know what I mean.

I may have mentioned earlier that in the past 13 months I have killed three toaster ovens. How? I haven’t a clue. I don’t use them daily and never for toast. I have a Cuisinart toaster for that job and it performs better than any of these cursed devices ever could.

OK, the first early death could have been anticipated; it was a $20.00 Wal-Mart special. Yes well…it was purchased in July 2007, when I was a mental and physical basket case.
Not an excuse, just full disclosure.

The second was a slightly larger Black and Decker that performed no better and croaked after a few months of service. Following that death I was not going to invest in an even more expensive oven so bought a refurbished unit from the B&D outlet store. It lasted one month beyond the “limited warranty” period. Surprised? Nah!

I’ve decided to go beyond this toaster oven crap and with winter approaching want to bake and roast again. Besides there are some really good recipes offered by Peter over at Tippin’ the Scales that sound so good, are relatively easy, and require baking. So, I began looking into a more substantial combo machine. I’ve come up with a Cuisinart TOB 165 Convection/Toaster Oven combo (with exact heat sensor) and that’s where I’m heading. It roasts and bakes in less time than a regular oven and doesn’t heat up the apartment. It uses up to 1500 watts, but less at lower oven settings due to that “exact heat sensor" technology. While I have never used a convection oven, members of a cooking club are certain the experience will be positive to the point of addiction. OK, I’m ready.

I was getting energized about this purchase, but it’s going to have to wait. I was blindsided by the need for a new eyeglass prescription (almost thrice the price of the oven) and am short of funds to make the purchase right now. Looking forward to next month.

Meanwhile a crock-pot of chicken vegetable soup is bubbling nicely on the countertop space that would otherwise hold the longed-for oven. Bother!

Your usual table for one, Mr. Bitter?

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. W, ever thought of opening a wishlist account on Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. P, Thanks for the visit and suggestion. I have created a Wish List, but have no idea what good that does. I am taunted by the things I need whenever I visit.
    Obviously, you know something I do not.
    I have got to try those salmon burgers soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...