Saturday, August 9, 2008

Verdict: Get Out More!

I’ve been sorting this out in my head, so here goes.

“Get involved again. Be more social. Volunteer again. Someone or some group can use your talents. Forget about the old ‘friends’ who ignore you and have left you behind. That is all in the past now. If you happen to see them out and about say hello and move on.” These are observations/suggestions as voiced by my therapist during our session yesterday morning and, of course, he’s right.

I’ve been here before and had been making progress in being more social. So what happened? Not having seen him since May let me backslide and lose the forward momentum. Working and saving every penny to pay the bills (attorney fees, an eye exam & new glasses, etc.) has meant little money for outside social activity. Life has to be more than working, cooking, sleeping, grocery shopping, cleaning, doctor visits, oh, and working.

Volunteering? Yes, there are a couple of good options around; the Film Society is gearing up for it’s annual independent festival; a new no-kill animal shelter is struggling to get off the ground and maybe could use an extra pair of hands. Inquiring phone calls will begin on Monday.

A second part-time job? Absolutely, that would be a great help and after the session yesterday I applied at three different places to get the ball rolling. There may be nothing available right now, but when the young’uns head back to college at the end of this month, who knows?

Need to plug on. Spinning my wheels is tiring and a waste of energy.

And so it goes.

*

3 comments:

  1. W, what a great way of getting the ball rolling again. I wish you lots of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met so many interesting people thru volunteering. It's been a great way to get out of myself and not wallow in self pity. I spend too much time doing that as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing the part-time job would add a bit to the money supply for having a bit of fun w/friends???

    I love my volunteer work, and it's amazing how time flies by when you get involved this way too.

    If you've got the 'egerknee' (as my one son used to say it when he was a little guy), I'd try it all!

    I bet visiting your friends in Louisiana took you 'back in time', and you realize how much you miss those relationships (the photos sure show how much they all welcomed you).

    I think you mentioned possibly moving back there - if you could, and had the type of job/work you'd like there, this could be an option as well.

    Maybe run that by your therapist - talk it out with the therapist, and see if you get your own answers.

    Good thing is - your blog goes with you wherever you are! Diane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...