Saturday, August 9, 2008

The John Edwards Cocktail: 2 parts Betrayal, 3 parts Anger, two dashes of Bitters...

Shake well and serve with lemon zest.

It ain't a Sazerac and it's a nasty thing to swallow.

In the midst of the images, quotes, accusations, bizarre confessions, Elizabeth's revelations, and the possibility (now) of her previous knowledge during the campaign, have kept my addled brain sputtering and hissing since the MSM finally took on the story.

OK, let's face this one true fact: (redundant, yes, but that makes it doubly true) ALL MEN CHEAT!
Powerful men do some powerfully stupid things - uh, like exploring diaper fetishes with hookers, chasing young boys, and cheating on spouses, get it? Well, if you don't you're lying to yourself and that's not a good idea.

Example: Having been approached by a reporter earlier in the evening and confronted by same reporter later that same night then thinking it would be a good idea to run away and barricade himself in a hotel men's room in the wee hours is about the dumbest thing I've heard since Larry Craig's excuses following his men's room gay sex escapades. Oh yeah, 'wide stance', indeed.

As my old friend Archie used to say, "you may think you amount to a great deal, but to a mosquito you're just something to eat." Sorta puts it in perspective now, doesn't it.

What really frightened me about this whole sordid affair (no pun intended) was the possibility that Edwards - with his fuckingly (yes, it's now a word) blatant lies - could have been the Democratic presidential nominee and I shutter to think of what would have befallen us all when this hit the fan.

Let me repeat this - very slowly - so that it may sink in: in this age of the web, instant access to transcripts and YouTube video archives, among other sources, lies and deceptions are much easier to detect and report. Whether the MSM is willing to do so is another matter, but everything hidden will come into the light. Or something like that.

I am sorry for everyone involved, but especially for the nation and everyone who believed in him.

IMHO, this man needs a good bitch-slap and a buzz cut. E'nuf said.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. Edwards was my second choice, behind Dean, back in '04. In '08, he wasn't even on my radar screen. What made me change my mind? I met him. Twice.

    Both times I talked with Edwards, he struck me as sleazy and patronizing, and I saw the same thing as I stepped back and watched him interact with others in the room. Friends of mine who worked for his campaign agreed with that assesment and told me their colleagues did too. These are the people who rarely care about character in politics, and put their focus entirely on policy. I've had the chance to talk to some of them in the last couple days, and their reacion is pretty universal. One, thank God we lost. Two, poor Elizabeth, how dare he!

    I also thought he was always pretty empty on Katrina recovery, PR aside, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...