Friday, July 2, 2010

Happy Fourth, Already?

I can't seem to get my head around the fact that this Fourth of July holiday weekend signals that summer is already half over. Where did it go?  Seems like only yesterday we were celebrating Cinco de Mayo and Memorial Day.

In any event, the weather this weekend is gloriously flawless (how's that for a description?) and the town is jumping with longtime visitors as well as people visiting for the first time, trying to find out what all the talk about this tiny place is all about.

Thanks to this wonderful weather we had the glass front doors open and the breeze off the ocean was rejuvenating and relaxing, making the work day fly by. The beach was mobbed with families and all their beach gear (I've never understood the need for beach accessories, like coolers, food, beverages, and a wagon to lug it all to and from wherever) skim boards, huge umbrellas, and kids with their various flotation devices.

By late afternoon (and the end of my shift) the exodus from the beach was well underway and some family groups stopped by for a late lunch, cocktails, or early dinner. They were lobster red for the most part and will likely be frightfully uncomfortable tonight, but for now all is right with their world.  They were happy to be here and that made my day.

After enjoying an after-shift margarita I walked home and my quiet street was welcoming, indeed. Residents and their guests sat on lawn chairs or porches sipping cocktails, waving a greeting, or saying "good evening" as I passed by.  Nice.

Had a festive martini then dinner, and cleaned up the kitchen so it's all good for the evening.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be the roughest day of the weekend. The restaurant is booked solid - even for midday lunch reservations - and the evening will be far worse. Or better, depending on your perspective. It's the big parties of 12 or more that really slow things down and these folks tend to stay longer than the smaller ones. We do not rush people at this restaurant and diners can enjoy their meal and time together without being pressured to leave. That said, it could be a very late night for the whole staff on Saturday. I will see the aftermath when I arrive on Sunday morning as I get ready to do it all over again.

The bosses are being playful and having fun, too. The fun is in the challenge of getting everything right.  I must admit that I am having a ball.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I think that there a few things that are more delightful to hear than that someone is enjoying his/her work. I'm sure today will be exhausting but may it be rewarding for you - not just financially (altho certainly that is wished) but emotionally as well. Happy Independence Day (tomorrow).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...