Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More Trash and Treasure

Did the shopping and other errands early so I could get back to the apartment before the heat melted the soles of my shoes. I had envisioned a nice day out and about taking pictures, but that's out of the question. It is so uncomfortable (how uncomfortable is it, Johnny?)  that I've had no appetite all morning. While grocery shopping I bought a few bottles of Tonic Water, and a couple of fresh limes, so aside from gallons of water, there'll be tonic and lime with plenty of ice as the household chores get done.

The thrift shop folks were thrilled with the boxes, especially the clothes - seems there's a shortage these days. Gee,  I wonder why? Hard times, perhaps?

Oh, and I ran into my little lady in her (VOV) van of veggies again.  No NJ tomatoes this time, but she said the Big Boys will be coming in another week or two. She did have some beautiful cucumbers and beets. Upon my return home I stored everything as quickly as possible and got down to the business of turning those cukes into a lovely salad, along with sliced onion, fresh basil and the sweet/sour dressing I used to make way back when...in NYC.  It's marinating even as I write. And the beets are in the small crock pot simmering away for a number of planned dishes this week and next.

Rummaging through another unlabeled box on this scorching, humid day off turns up coins from a visit to Europe back in 1988, belonging to the UK, Belgium, France, and The Netherlands.  (Click the image to embiggen.)

Way before the Euro.

I have 2 envelopes of coins and have no idea who would like to have them, if they are worth anything, or if I ought to keep them as memorabilia. Are there collectors of these old coins out there?  I remember having some paper money from various countries, but my fave was from Holland, 'er, the Netherlands. Small, brightly coloured, and cheery, they were.

The French 10 franc coin has always intrigued me. Two different metals fused into one coin. I used to keep one in my pocket as a good luck charm.  Don't ask why, I just liked it for some reason. It's in the pic., but upside down.  Sorry, the light isn't so good in this area of the apartment.

I also uncovered my old ID key-chain fob from The Islanders Club that used to run buses from various points in Manhattan out to the Sayville, LI ferry which takes visitors to Fire Island. Apparently, they still do.  I love it. The fob used to be on my keyring and has a "if found return to The Islanders Club, with their address - postage paid. It includes my member number 1046, which I still remembered after all these years.

Stay tuned, more surprises are likely inside other boxes yet unopened. I hope they are pleasant ones.

The image above is a scan of a few coins - some very tiny - leave it to the practical Dutch.  All input would be appreciated.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. Upon my return from Germany/Switzerland in 1971 I had a few coins and one bill that followed me home from the BRD, DDR, and Switzerland. I mounted them on backing along with a bit of legend (to tell what each coin was) in a small frame. I hangs on my wall yet today.
    Following the death of my MIL we inherited a small coin bank in which we found a number of coins that my FIL (never met - deceased) brought back from WWII Europe (mainly Iceland where he was stationed). We decided to divide the coins/bills, create two shadow boxes and given them to our sons for C'mas. They were thrilled to have this token of a grandfather that they had never met.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...