Sunday, July 11, 2010

World Cup and Whirled Peas

Seems Americans have suddenly become enamored with the game of soccer (known around the world as football - but not here) and for the past two weeks (seems like months) these fans have invaded every nook and cranny of the restaurant. Sweet Christ on a cracker, today is the final game between Espana (Spain to us Muricans!) and The Netherlands.

Unlike Super Bowl fans, who are loud, obnoxious and rude, American soccer fans are just obnoxious. Oh, and demanding.  Maybe it's genetic.  Maybe because you can actually see the players, their bodies, facial expressions, and graceful moves, that the game has become more alluring.  After all, what do you see of an American football player? Part of the face, teeth guard, helmet, pads, spandex and attitude - all of which make the over-paid player look more like a tank going to war, than an athlete playing a game. And you wouldn't know who was under all that heavy drag but for their names stitched onto the back of their Jersey...what fun?

Soccer players have fine-tuned bodies and are light on their feet, while football players are clunking around, some weighing over 300 pounds. Grace and agility over dumb brute strength. I'll take the former, thank you very much.

Anyhoo.

Since the game started at 2:30 pm EDT, I had to deal with these crazies from 1 o'clock until the end of my shift at about 4:30 pm. By that time many were so drunk they had to close one eye to keep the tv screen in focus; as I left the pitchers of margaritas were still flowing...Good luck with that, OK?

I am home making supper and enjoying a festive martini as I write. It's going to be a wonderful evening. I plan to watch "An American in Paris" which I haven't seen in a few years. Truth be told: I fell in love with Gene Kelly at age 8 when I first saw this picture. But, please, PLEASE, don't tell anyone.  Let this be our little secret, OK?

Anyway, Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Oh God, the recent big news items are soccer ( don't get it), "King James" (that's LeBron James to you) and Lindsay. For Chrissake, what's the matter with this country anyway? Then again, maybe it's me. Is that possible? Give me a frigging break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the hubbub makes us forget our troubles (recession part II?? BP etc.)

    As for soccer being less obnoxious, those Vevuzelas drive me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Gene Kelly at 8! I don't know if I can keep that one a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I know is that I can understand and get into soccer much more and much faster than I can get into 'Murican "football", baseball, or basketball. Maybe I came with European wiring. :)
    As for soccer fan being obnoxious, let me introduce you to some in-laws who worship at the feet of JoePa. Uggh.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...