Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hibiscus = Rose of Sharon

There have been questions raised in the comments about this particular flower and I hope this will put those questions to rest. Thank You.

Modern usage


Hypericum calycinum

Hibiscus syriacus
Rose of Sharon is also commonly applied to two different plants, neither of which is likely to have been the plant from the Bible:
Rose of Sharon is also the name of a character in John Steinbeck's novel The Grapes of Wrath. She is the younger sister of Tom Joad. She is married to Connie, and is pregnant with his baby.
 Read the whole story here.

Fascinating, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I like them both, hibiscus and Rose of Sharon. I have a special affinity for Rose of Sharon because it brings back memories of my youth when we used to play by the train tracks. Everything was dark and greasy around those train tracks except the Rose of Sharon, which was always a pure white. This is an indelible memory from my childhood which I always makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks for clearing that up! So now we know. I have perfect syriacus, exactly like the photo. I also have pink ones that just started to bloom. The grow like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hibiscus syriacus planted along a fence in my yard is a constant battle. I think it would be the first thing to take over my yard post-apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...