Thursday, July 15, 2010

We Are All We Have on This Planet. Now, Repeat.

I mean, think about it.  We ARE all we have. Period! We need to help one another, love one another, sometimes simply be there for one another, care for one another and...trust one another. Let me explain. (Deep breath.)

The day began on a high note (sunny sky, breeze off the ocean, low humidity) being satisfied with my accomplishments on the day off I was ready for another day at the restaurant.

All was going well as kitchen and wait staff arrived early, or on time. Prep chores went smoothly, stations were assigned to the servers, and we were ready to open the doors 10 minutes early.  Following an initial rush the customer numbers dwindled due to the drop dead gorgeous weather, so by mid-afternoon lunch traffic was way down.

That's when it happened. One of the servers, (a kind and gentle soul, whom I adore, btw) Sergei from Ukraine, written about previously, (more info is in the comments of that post) confided in me that one of his roommates stole all his money - "even the coins" - he said. He was close to tears, and so was I.  Without going into detail, these students live in conditions most of us wouldn't offer to our pets.  Sergei explained that he usually wears shorts to bed at night, money safely tucked inside a pocket, his laptop and cell phone next to his pillow. Due to the oppressive heat and humidity before the storms cleared the air, he chose to sleep in his underwear Monday night. When he arrived home following his shift Tuesday his money was gone. As he said to me "even the coins!" The bills had been folded around his VISA card held by a rubber-band - the card was there - the money and the rubber-band were not. He had to borrow money for bus fare to get to work today.

Mind you, this is one of the most generous, caring, and giving (asks nothing in return) persons I have had the pleasure to come to know. This broke my heart, I could see his breaking, too. He can't understand why anyone would steal from him, since all students are in the same boat financially. As he said to me, "if they needed the money I would have offered it to them, until they could afford to pay it back."  My first thought was that he was targeted because he is gay, a bit effeminate  - and someone has issues with faggots! I didn't share this with him, however. He's been traumatized enough.

The more he told me the more I seethed. I suggested he confront his roommates (he has nothing to lose) and watch for signs of discomfort or side glances on their faces.  I suggested he ask the boss to put his money in the safe, or give it to me to hold for him. 

He made some money in tips serving at lunch and is a busboy this evening, so there's that extra bit to take the pressure off and he can pay his weekly rent on Saturday.  After my post-shift cocktail, as I was leaving tonight, he came up and gave me a big hug and said, "this will not make me stop believing in the goodness of people, look, I have met you and that is enough." I hugged him hard and left quickly. I didn't cry until I was out of sight and well into the trees on my quiet street.

As I told my boss, if I had a sofa-bed, I'd offer him a place to stay for the rest of the summer where he, and his money, would be safe

If only some people would GET IT - that we are all we have on this planet. When we steal from another, we're only stealing from ourselves.  Karma is a bitch that way.

And so it goes.
*

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this heart rending story. It is so disappointing to know that someone would steal from a person like Sergei. If I was living alone, he could stay in one of extra bedrooms. I am sorry I can't help. He is fortunate to have you as a friend for comfort. He should let you or your bosses hold his money. Impress that upon him so his money isn't stolen again because it may happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we can evolve into a collective conscious empathy, one that reaches beyond the traditional tribes, nations, and religious organizations.
    if not, I do not have hope we can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W, you're a good friend and soulmate to Serge. It shows in the fact that he first confided in you before going somewhere else.

    But as you said, he should confront his roommates, when money is that tight for them they could have asked for a small 'loan'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How tragic that something like that happens to nice people! One cannot help for a big "payback" for the thief.
    I think Sergei would be well advised to keep any extra money he has with your bosses in the safe or with you and only keep on him the little bit that he needs for his commute, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back and review the post with his picture and other info. He just has that sweetheart of a guy look about him.
    I do not mean to put pressure on you, but I was wondering if even one of those inflatable mattresses would do him for the rest of the summer at your place. Given his history (as briefly shared with us) he must be traumatized.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What!? I'm not on your blog list? Oh my. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Rick! You are shameless. No bottom-lip quivering, please. ;~)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...