Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Work of Art & A Piece of Work

This big guy greets me every day on my walks to and from work.  He stands at the corner of Lake Avenue and Third Street. He always brings a smile to the faces of people he greets, or who chance upon him. (Click the image to embiggen) Isn't he festive, though?  This morning a number of small children with boogie boards in tow heading for the beach with their parents came upon him and squealed with delight. Many were asking to have pictures taken with him.  Since he is a "work of art", they knew they couldn't climb onto his back, they seemed happy enjoying his bright colours and the beret. I loved it.

I spent the early morning planning tomorrow's errand route to get the timing right for each stop so as to spend the minimum of time on the road.

Had to be at work early this morning to receive contractors working on a new water system. The bosses were involved in an ad shoot (a commercial for local TV) and wouldn't be able to greet, or watch over the workman.  So, there I was gaping at this blue-eyed, very tan, handsome man with great legs (yes, he was in shorts) and salt & pepper hair smiling at me at 9:15.  Oh, be still my heart!

Anyway, I left him to his work, which was finished way too soon, Damn! As I went about my own work he suddenly appeared and waved goodbye as he left the building.  Sigh.

The work day was interesting and fun. A couple of customers from the jewelry store showed up and were happy to know I was working at the restaurant full time. We shared stories, had a few laughs, and caught up on personal news.  It was wonderful to see them again. As they left they gave me a big hug and said they would be back to see me in the future, especially after the season.  I was thrilled to see them and even happier for the hugs.

 I learned that I have been bumped up to a higher security level in the computer system, which means more duties and previleges assigned to me - though I have no idea what they are, until I am asked to perform a specific task for a server, or cook - it's hit or miss.  Now if they would just get down to teaching me the system software, that would be a help.  Probably after the season ends in September, which is closer than I realized.  The summer is speeding by so fast it's hard to believe Labor Day is only one month and a few days away.

So close in fact, some students will return to their countries in 2 or 3 weeks.  It's going to be a tough goodbye. Still, that is weeks away so we can make the best of the time remaining.

Today was a carbon copy (does anyone remember what that phrase means, anymore?) weather-wise of yesterday.  Heavenly and a great beach day. The weekend weather isn't promising more of the same.  Rain is predicted and that means the town, restaurant, and I will be hopping.  Looking forward to it. I am so over this 110' with high humidity; we need cooler, breathing weather and if that means the badly needed rain, then so be it.

I smell olives!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. It was indeed a beautiful day today in the neighborhood. The past few days I've taken an early morning run to "the boards" and have thoroughly enjoyed my walk. I haven't seen your friend Dino the Dinosaur ("the work of art") yet but I will look for him next time I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. W, it shows our age when you know what a carbon copy is.

    Hope your heart rhythm is back to normal. ;-) On the other hand I hope he has to come back to adjust a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how difficult it will be to say goodbye to some of your work buddies who must return home soon. Believe it or not, I recall those bittersweet summers of my own younger days, bonding strongly to others, then ripped apart, in some cases never to see them again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...