Friday, October 11, 2013

3 Steps Forward - 0 Steps Back


That is something practically unheard-of  around here, where it's usually 1 step forward - 2 steps back.  So, I'll take this good fortune, thank you very much.

Went to breakfast at our other restaurant in Lewes, DE. It was the first time I've seen my friends and co-workers in a month, and my first dine out since August. I requested a table far from any groups or families, they put me back in the corner, which made it easier for us to chat and catch up on what's been going on since my illness hit. It was great fun to talk with others - rather than to myself - and enjoy a really delicious breakfast of eggs, bacon, home fries, biscuits, and a good cup of coffee.  Heavenly.

My appetite is good but I continue to lose weight.  Down another pound to 167' 2 days ago at the Dr.'s office. Frustrating!

Mailed a form to the SSA asking that they discontinue withholding Federal Tax from my monthly check.  I don't know when any action will be taken.  There is a big blue banner on the main page with disclaimers due to the Shutdown.  I don't know why, the SSA is a separate entity with it's own pool of funds - and there is a surplus of a few billion in the account. Scare tactics by the Repugs, more than likely. Anyway, we shall see.

Stopped by Dos Locos for a few minutes to see Linda (the GM) and other staff. There were gentle hugs all round, but no one wanted to stay too close for fear of passing on something that might cause infection. The human contact was something I've sorely missed.  (It made me think of the isolation PWAs had to endure back in the 80s when it was rare for anyone to touch, never mind hug, a person with AIDS - for very different reasons, of course. Now I know how that must have felt, and it isn't good.) While there I offered to give Linda my keys to the restaurant, but she refused.  I guess she's hoping I'll come back soon.  I am, too.  I miss my job terribly, honestly, I do.

Received a heads-up email this morning that the new Mac MINI, is out for delivery. "Signature Required" when it arrives. They will not leave an Apple package on the porch. Fine with me, it's raining buckets here and I wouldn't want the boxes to get wet.  The storm has been sitting off the coast, not going anywhere and continually hitting us with wind-driven heavy rains.

Later: The boxes have arrived and I can't wait to tear into them. They are very small, really. Mac users have told me how easy they are to set up, all one has to do is follow on-screen instructions and I'll be in business in no time. We'll see.  And yes, it gives me something to look forward to, as well as wake up some inactive brain cells rather than the passive ones that make up my daily routine. 

The hematologist's office finally called, there is an appointment set up for next Wednesday. Someone is lined up to drive with me (it's 60 miles north of here) in case I have a adverse reaction to tests or any drugs they give me.  At least those are two things less to worry about. Another biopsy in in my future, but not sure if they will do that during the first visit, or schedule it for another day. With my luck it will be the latter.  

Note: Today marks the 6th day without chills, headache, or a fever. May this good luck continue until I see the hematologist next week.

Now where is that box cutter?

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. positive news all around! I am happy for you, cajun!

    when do you think you will return to work?

    human contact/touch is a marvy thing; nothing else in the world like it. as I am still in recovery from pneumonia, I will reach out and touch you this way. we don't need to further compromise our poor immune systems!

    have fun setting up your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are feeling better !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...