Saturday, October 12, 2013

Let it Rain. I've Got My Mac to Keep me Warm


Behold!  I am writing my first post on the new Mac MINI and I AM LOVING IT.  Set up would have been a beaucoup easy had I not second-guessed myself looking to make it more difficult. That's the Windows user in me talking. Nothing was ever easy with Windows.  

Aside from the Laptop, I am no longer a "Gates" Keeper.  

The Mac MINI is, well, mini - about 7 inches, - the DVD player - 5 inches - sits on top. Both are extremely quiet. 

The existing wireless keyboard and mouse work OK, but Mac shortcuts aren't available since there is no Command key. Those issues can be worked around for the time being.

Safari (the browser) is fine, so far. May switch back to Chrome at a later date.  The machine came with a limited word processor "TextEdit" installed, but I may look into purchasing "Pages" down the road as I learn my way around the new Operating System.  

I've discovered the Scan option on my all-in-one Laser printer/copier/scanner doesn't work with Mac. After an extensive search, it appears that this isn't an isolated problem. For some reason, there are no drivers available for the Scan program on a Mac. 

Checking various printer specs turns up compatibility with various versions of Windows, but for Mac "print" is the only option available.  Downloading and installing my existing printer driver was a snap, the Mac took care of it without a problem, but doesn't recognize the Scan option.

A specific search for all-in-one printers "for Mac" brought disappointing results. As far as I can tell, the only AIO printers compatible with Mac are Inkjet printers. Don't know why, really.  Laser printers are a bit more costly, but the consumables are cheaper in the long run and there is no danger of inks clogging or drying up.   Colour is unimportant; replacement cartridges are more costly than the printers themselves (honest) and have lower page output count. Laser cartridges are slightly more expensive but last much longer.  Inks tend to run when wet. Laser doesn't, because the toner is heat-bound to the paper.

Example: a highly rated Canon AIO inkjet printer is priced at $64.00 while the replacement ink set (B/W & Colour) is priced at around $50.00. Another major annoyance, there is only one colour cartridge which contains the yellow, magenta, and cyan inks, meaning that if you use one colour more than the others, you must replace the entire cartridge.  (Think of the St. James Bible, you know they say Jesus spoke in Red!) That's a huge waste of ink - and money. 

Going to stick with my laser printer; dust off and re-connect the flatbed scanner (purchased to copy the old slides) which will take up more space - not to mention more wires to contend with.  Bother!

With Amanda McBroom, Eva Cassidy, and Holly Near as background, I'll wyle away the hours on this rainy day discovering secrets of the Mini. 

So…if any of you Mac users have comments and/or suggestions, they would be appreciated.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on switching to Apple and leaving Windows! I also had to break myself of the "Windows" habit of trying to figure things out whereas Apple is much more user friendly and intuitive. I too have had a problem with laser printers with my iMac but not with my inkjet printer, which is what I use most of the time now. Re your scanner, did you check the Apple forum (free) to see if anyone else had a similar situation? That forum has almost aways supplied the answers I needed.

    Good luck! I'm happy for you.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laser printer works fine, just there are no drivers for Mac to run the scan part of the printer. It's an all-in-one printer purchased to alleviate the clutter of a stand alone scanner in the first place.

    I'll check the APPLE forums as you suggest, but I hold little hope.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...