Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lagniappe From New Orleans

Here are a few shots from the New Orleans trip.  Bored to tears today, I downloaded, and edited them, and now uploaded them for y'all to enjoy. Or, not.  I'll caption them for now. There isn't much of a story to tell.  Most were shot on the days I felt well enough to be out and about.  (Click any image to embiggen.) So, here goes.


Tablets were everywhere on the flight down. The guy in plaid was doing jigsaw puzzles, had a good eye, and expert at matching the tiny pieces.

This made me LOL when I turned on the bathroom light in my room. There was also a Keurig coffee maker as well. Glad I didn't buy one. I don't know what people like about them. The coffee it produced wasn't very good, either.

A selfie taken on the first afternoon.  Not looking too bad considering the previous 2 weeks. 

Two very unique, old, historic homes a block from the hotel on St. Peter St.  They are featured on all walking tours of the Quarter.

Cloudlburst on day 2, came and went within a half hour. That's NOLA! Taken from the door to my room. All rooms are off the balcony or off the courtyard on the ground floor.

Driveway leading to the back courtyard of a home on Burgundy St.  The sign at right reads, "Don't even think of parking here!"
The lovely Cafe duMonde, home of Beignets and cafe au lait.


Over 100 years old, Tujague's is still one of the best in town. Sorry I missed it. Maybe next time.


Interesting street artist catering to the tourist trade. Her other works (hidden from view) were quite good, actually.

The ever-present pick-up Jammin' Jazz Ensemble waiting for more musicians to join in.. The guy at far left just arrived and is tying his shoes. That's his tuba on the ground behind him.

The Big Muddy running low. That sandbar was not there two days later. Sandbars are some of the greatest dangers for river traffic; they pop up anywhere at anytime then disappear a day or two later. That's the Mighty Mississippi for you.

Electronic, computerized parking meter.  Don't try to figure it out. Looks like something straight out of Dr. Who. A Dalek invention, perhaps!


The ubiquitous carriages waiting to take tourists on an adventure in the French Quarter.
French Market alley. In the back is a sculpture sitting in front of a mural depicting the Market in the 1800s. If you recognize the object on the wall at right, I am pleased to tell you that there are quite a few around and all in fine working order. 
Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral taken on the finest day of the entire trip.


Taken the day before my departure.  I suspect word got out that I was not feeling well that day.


Well, that's that. There were a few others, but none worth sharing, or saving for that matter. As I said, there are no pictures of friends because I didn't spend time with anyone.  Just the bed, an icepack, Tylenol, and me.  Romantic, ain't it?

Tomorrow being Monday there may be fewer people around, so I hope to go out for breakfast. I am dying for some human contact. Yes, I'll wear the mask, only take it off when I eat or drink. Just hope I continue to feel as good as I have the past 24 hours.

And so it goes.
*

7 comments:

  1. ever thought of growing a mustache?

    you must tell me the name of your hotel on st. peter street.

    spouse and I were just drooling at the cafe du monde shots and st. louis square pix. we spent part of our honeymoon in NOLA; and we returned on our 10th anniversary. no money for vacation for the 20th (last year).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking forward to seeing your photos. Thanks for sharing. That plan interior looks awfully small. I felt cramped just looking at it. By the way, that wasn't a "tuba" on the ground but a Sousaphone. A common mistake. This from a former Sousaphone player (three years, high school marching and concert band). A "tube" is held on the chest. A Sousaphone wraps around the body For your information file.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ron: There are no interior plans in the images. Did you mean to write "plane" and drop the "E"???

    If that's the case, the plane is small, but easy to get around in, 2 seats per row makes for easy in and out, and the seats are larger than most.

    Sorry, they don't fly Jumbos to New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, i meant "plane". I'm all right with small plans as long as I have enough leg room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, Ron...you did it again! Heh!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...