Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Peggy Lee Has Left the Building***


Yesterday marked the 18th day without spiking a high fever.  Aside from a minor 99.2 once last week, it's all been good. Seems the right cocktail of meds did the trick on that score. The energy level remains low and the full-body weakness creeps in now and then, but I am aware when that happens and take steps to slow myself down. The doctors suggested taking Gingko Biloba and Iron supplements daily to address those issues Ordered Friday,  should arrive today.

Not that I'm doing much to tire myself, but there it is.  Aside from reading, watching BBC documentaries on YouTube, listening to music, and eating there isn't much else in my daily routine. 

A brief update: I did drive to the restaurant Sunday afternoon to hear some Jazz and schmooze with regulars, thank them for their well wishes, and be grateful I was out among the living again.  Even with the face mask no one seemed to mind.  The boss even took a photo with his iPhone and posted it to the DL FaceBook pages. He told me there were over 20 comments within a short time. That image (not the best quality, but then neither am I) is posted above. Mask on, menu in hand…you can't see the big smile on my face, but you can imagine how it felt being there again.  The locos guys seemed as happy to have me back as everyone else. A grand feeling, that. And a boost to the old self-esteem.

Enjoyed the time seating a few tables and then sitting and chatting with them about music, life, and only addressing the health situation when asked.  Then being as vague as possible.  Most didn't pry. Everyone enjoyed the weather, the music and our time together. Many were shocked that I could join their tables if only for a brief time before moving on. (I felt like Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke! Only the honky-tonk piano and feather boa were missing.) I made the rounds from the bar seats to high-tops, to tables. Helped out in the kitchen for a short time and terrorized my lovable wait staff, who pampered me no end. 

The joint was jumpin' but not crowded when I arrived, 2 hours later Jazz buffs began to pour through the doors in large groups; that was my cue to head home. I was tiring anyway and didn't want to overplay the good hand dealt to me. It was a gift not to be abused.

Calls to the Oncologist offices have not yet been returned. Maybe they're miffed at my behavior toward the abusive doctor during my last visit. We shall see. They will have to contact me sooner or later. They are the only game in town to perform the necessary tests that need to be done.

Autumn weather has arrived - gray skies, cooler temps and brisk winds off the ocean - so it's time for some cold-weather kitchen activities.  A brief trip to the market for supplies is the only outing on my gay agenda today.  The plan for today is bread baking and a thick, hearty soup. Wish me luck.


***If you didn't get the reference, you're forgiven...this time!   Watch This.



And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Good news! You're back at work, if only for a short time. You're going in the right direction. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why peggy, you look GORGEOUS! happy you were able to go to work, if only for a short time. being among friends is good for you.

    now let's see a pix of the bread you made!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...