Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Monday - Schmunday. Feh!


Is it Tuesday already - how time flies when you're wasting it! 

The dreaded first weekday came and went with little to show for it around here. There were a few items on the to-do list including bathroom cleaning, sorting and filing the latest medical paperwork,  a load (or 2) of laundry, a bit of large batch cooking to replenish the dwindling supplies in the freezer.

Dragged out the bucket & sponges,  labeled a few file folders, consolidated the laundry bags and supplies, sorted out the ingredients intended for each recipe, placing each group on the countertops, then promptly went to bed for an hour.  The folders remained empty, cleaning supplies were put away, the laundry supplies remain near the front door as low energy dogged me most of the day.

Aside from making a batch of Jello (don't laugh) there were no stirring insights from the culinary muses so I stared at the shiny steel day.   As I was about to abort the whole idea a thought crossed my tiny drug-rattled brain: if I put it all away the cooking will never get done. Now, how's that for genius thinking? That settled it.  Left them alone,worked around the obstacles as I prepared  supper, and vowed to get creative today.

Monday being a holiday and all, attempts to reach the SSA and Medicare offices were futile; though open with a skeleton staff, the phones were always busy.

Columbus Day isn't celebrated here. There were a few parades upstate in the bigger cities, but his tainted reputation in light of new historical data means he's pretty much shot his wad of popularity and credibility these days.

Drove to the restaurant to check in with the locos guys, but they had a staff meeting at the other restaurant and I didn't want to be out in public for 2 hours waiting for them. As it was, everyone wanted to hug me - and how could I refuse - I love hugs and relished the contact with people who cared about me.

As I drove home I thought how wonderful it would be to get this illness behind me and go back to work at the job I adore, with the people I love. Something to think about and work towards as I step into the medical unknown - again.

Spent a few hours learning more about how the MAC and the Safari Browser work. The daily challenge and fun at the same time. Haven't figured out how to transfer the address book from Chrome, yet.  Maybe today.

Opening Saturday's mail was the most excitement to be had all day, for in it was a massive envelope from the Hematologist with the proverbial questionnaires, statements of patients rights, and maps & directions to their offices - some 60 - 65 miles north of here.

It should be easy to find with my sidekick, Debbie, who's coming along.  Her company will be a blessing, making the boring drive go a lot faster. She wants to leave at 10 am, to enjoy a relaxing drive arriving in plenty of time to share a quiet lunch somewhere of her choosing.  The appointment is set for 2:30 pm - it's a 2 hour drive - so (if all goes as planned) we'll have the luxury of 2 hours to spare for whatever we want to do.

The giant Christiana Mall is a short distance from the hospital campus, where the medical offices are located, so Deb may want to show me around the joint.  I have never been there. Actually I haven't been to a shopping mall in about 10 years, and to tell the truth it hasn't been missed.

So far today, the pans and Dutch oven are on display; cutting boards are out. All ingredients are here, no need for a quick jaunt to the store; only a few vegetables to be chopped or sliced, so I may as well get to it.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. I am baking a cake for spouse's birthday today. tomorrow is slow cooker lasagna day! thursday is quiche and who knows what else!

    "cooking is science for hungry people."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got all the pots and utensils out to make fresh chicken soup at 8:30 this morning and it's all sitting there still.

    It's amazing when doing little of substance how a whole day can disappear.

    Before you know you'll be back helping with the Christmas Parties at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning I turned in my four liter container of pee that I collected over the past 24 hours. Then off to the Beebe Medical Outpatient center on Rt. 24 for a blood test. There, I think I'm done until my next dermatologist appointment at which time I will be subjected to a full body scan (I've already been forewarned). I hope you can get back to work soon and return to your regular routine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...