Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sea Witch, Sunshine, & Spandex

Wow!  That was fun!

As I left the building to join the Sea Witch festivities yesterday I could hear a marching band playing.  I {heart} me some marching bands!  The parade had already stepped off and was heading down the avenue to the ocean.  I missed the first half as it did so, but found a good viewing spot and caught the whole parade on it's back swing.

Fun floats, fire trucks full of kids, high school marching bands, (did I say I {heart} me some marching bands?) and costumed walkers of every stripe. Costumes were original and many downright hysterical. Not being a slave to TV I am sure I missed some of the humor, but it was fun, nonetheless. The women costumed as the Kardasians (sp?) were boo'd and hiss'd by the bystanders.  I don't think they expected that response.  Was it a tough crowd?  Don't think so.  I think they were just expressing their "over-it" attitude toward the infamous family.

Six groups made up the various characters of the Hanna-Barbera Cartoon shows like, Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, The Flintstones with Pebbles and Bam-Bam,  Yogi Bear & Boo-boo,  Josie & the Pussycats, and a few others I didn't recognize drew lots of attention and applause. I bumped into a few of these folks again later on enjoying drinks & lunch at the restaurant.  Great fun and nice people.  Oh, and the costume theme for the restaurant this years was "The Old West" with the staff dressed as cowboys, Indians, gamblers, and dance hall ladies.  Though they weren't all "ladies" - if you get my drift.

Of course, this celebration is a far cry from last year when everything was cancelled (for the first time in  30 years) because Hurricane Sandy was moving up the coast, already sending heavy rains and high winds to our shores in advance.  Although the powers-that-be did their best to salvage something for the  kids - a mini-kids parade and costume contest - indoors at the Convention Center, it just wasn't the same.

That memory wasn't lost on those attending this year,  many commenting on where they were, how they evacuated, and how long they were away before being allowed to return to their homes. Still, that's the past and everyone was happy to be out again in the Autumn sunshine being as outrageous as they dared.  Let me say, some were quite daring.  In fact, I think I fell in love with one of the "Fantastic Four" hotties (don't know which one he was supposed to be, don't know the show. But he certainly filled out that spandex costume nicely.) who took notice of my feeble medical mask and jokingly reprimanded (and awarded) me for the least original costume of the day.

Returned home to a light supper - my beef, sausage cabbage soup - took a hot shower and watched a BBC series before heading to bed.  I was really tired out, but happy to be on the sidelines on such a happy day.

Before you ask, no, I didn't take pictures. The camera was in my shoulder bag and I didn't bring it along. Could have kicked myself at first, but I think I had a better time without it.  Aside from the Fantastic One, my presence went un-noticed, and that's fine with me. Staying out of crowds was a lot easier said than done.  I managed and haven't come down with anything, so far.


Had planned to attend the Pet Parade today, but I'm not up for another outing like yesterday. I may visit the restaurant for a few hours, but that's my limit this time around.

So there it is...A  good weekend all round and good time was had by all.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A parade of any kind always makes the heart warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One good thing about your present situation, we all get to enjoy your longer blog postings. Would have been nice to have seen a picture of that Fantastic Four guy though. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...