Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Shot, Another Shot, And Then Some.

Mask off, sitting in front of me.  Hate it!
Awoke feeling sluggish and somehow a bit off-center yesterday.  Dizzy and light-headed (so what's new?) with no appetite. Struggling to snap out of it, I downed 2 cups of strong java to no avail. I knew I had to get moving, but it just wasn't happening.  Somehow I needed have the prescription filled or the pain would become unbearable.

I called the Center, described the symptoms and was asked to come in to be checked out. Could I drive?  Yes.  As long as traffic was light and no need to be ultra-alert, I thought I'd be OK.  There was no one to call, in any case, so there it was.  

Without knowing what the Center had in mind - or what the diagnosis would be - I chanced a stop to drop off the scrip before the appointment. I needed those painkillers and since narcotics must be signed for, there was no choice.

Well, it seems that even with the already high dosages of B-12 I must take, the lack thereof was part of the problem. I needed a shot, was given the injection, told to relax and enjoy a coffee and chocolate muffin.  I did.  Both "tasted" great.  Yes, I could actually taste both.  Very strange after so long without working tastebuds, and very welcome indeed.

An hour later, feeling much more like myself, vitals were taken and I was sent on my way.  The only item on the gay agenda was the painkiller scrip and a few grocery items to hold me over the holiday.  Done in no time, I was about to start the car when a text came in from the Locosguys asking if I could come by for a visit. I thought I would beg off, but thought it might be medicinal.  

My peeps. Servers, Cooks, Bartender.  The Best!
As I was about to reply, he sent another text reminding me that there were holiday cards awaiting me and a few customers having lunch were hoping to see me. I replied that I was "on the way"  It took 20 minutes (holiday shopping traffic made for slow-going) to get back into town, less than 2 miles away. 

The afternoon was the most enjoyable and festive I've had in a long time. It was a happy time spent with staff and the customers (those already here for the long holiday week) as we sat in the bar area making up for lost time, playing catch-up on my life and theirs. Out of nowhere, the Locosguy appeared with a tray full of shot glasses.  These were to "taste" a new cocktail concoction he just created called "chocolate covered pretzel" - many were skeptical.  Not I.  No sir. I was ready for something salty, tasty, and strong (how I like my men!) and the shots were passed around.

The obligatory toast was made in my honor and down they went.  OMG!  So smooth, so chocolaty, and salty. Exactly like a chocolate covered pretzel.  Honestly. My newly revived tastebuds thanked me profusely for the pleasure, as the fun continued. 

Somewhere along the way I mentioned (while discussing mixology in general) that I loved B & B and had not tasted it in many years. Well, before you could say "Holy Shit, Mary - It's a Girl!"  3 glasses of the powerful elixir appeared before me. Holiday and Get Well cards stacked in front of me, which I was told to open on Christmas morning and think of the senders.

Four hours later - with 2 Chocolate Covered Pretzel shots and 4 B & B drinks making a home in my belly - feeling warm and grateful, I headed home. Reluctantly checked the mailbox and was delighted to find nothing offensive from any Gub-mint agency waiting to ruin the perfectly glorious afternoon.

Went to bed with the warm glow of friendship both inside and surrounding my body. Slept like a baby (of course the painkiller helped) and woke to partly cloudy skies and warm temperatures.  May rise into the 70s today.  I'll take it. 

A text arrived a while ago reminding me that Sunday is the birthday of one of the Locosguys and there'll be surprises and cake. And a "please come if you can" at the end. Well, if the state of physical and mental well-being continues for another day, you can be sure I'll be there. 

Happy group sans medical mask. Good time.

(Sorry about the photo quality. They were shot with the Locosguy's iPhone 5, which I've been told takes far better pictures when the photographer hasn't been imbibing.)

And so it goes.

*

4 comments:

  1. good for you, honey! you needed this "shot in the arm" as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that the B12 shot did the trick! And because of it, you were able to have a really good afternoon with your work buddies and customers. Next time you are down, go in for another one. By the way, I take B12 tablets daily and they seem to improve my mood overall when I take them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good day. I'm happy for you. See how many friends you have. Now for you to get your health back in the new year and all will be well with the world. Have a happy Christmas!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...