Monday, December 2, 2013

Willing. Waiting. Wired. Woebegone.

They say it's all in the timing. I don't know who "they" are but they've got a valid point.  I wonder if "they" are any relation to "Murphy" of "Murphy's Law" fame.

I was stuck at home all day anyway, waiting for a phantom phone call from the Christiana Surgeon's office to schedule an appointment. I also had to be around to sign for the delivery of the new cell phone.

Although numerous calls were answered, all were either marketing, or politically related.  I don't think I've ever received so many calls on the home land line in all the years I've had the number.  The land line has no voicemail, answering device, or caller-ID, so there's no telling how long these calls have gone unanswered.  

That said, not one of those incoming calls came from the surgeon's office.  This is the third time I've been promised a call for an appointment only to be left hanging at the end of the day. Never mind. 

The new phone arrived late this afternoon.  Well, of course it did.  Be available 8 am to 8 pm - a 12 hour window of wait time - you just know they're going to hold off until the 10th hour to bang on your door for a signature.  It's an unwritten rule of all shippers.  It may well be mandatory during this season, I don't know.

Spent a half hour on the phone with Virgin CS doing the activation voodoo switch-over thingy from the old phone to the new one. Jorge's English wasn't very good and he wasn't very iPhone savvy, but we muddled through. 

It was easier on Jorge, so I kept the same phone number,(that means, if you have it, keep it!)  Apparently there is no way to transfer addresses and contact lists; all that information had to be input again manually.  Time consuming and tedious. The interesting thing is there are fewer contacts now than at this time last year. I was able to purge the list as I entered the data.  

As far as I can tell, I am back in business.  Connected, as it were.

Tomorrow I see the oncologist to go over the early results of the latest biopsy and of course, have more blood work done.  I can hardly wait…

And so it goes.

*

2 comments:

  1. good to see you are connected once again to humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your new iPhone arrived and you got it set up. Keeping the old number is good for those who may have it, but do not frequently contact you.

    The surgeon may be busy, but he does have a staff. No excuse in not calling you -- even on your old mobile number since it is your new mobile number.

    Hope all goes well at the oncologist's office tomorrow. Cajun', you need some good uplifting positive news for a change. Let's hope that happens tomorrow.

    David

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...