Sunday, April 10, 2011

Do I Really Want TV?

As regular readers of this here thingy may remember, I have no access to TV programming.  No cable, satellite, antenna. I get news and information from various news organizations, news blogs online, and state & local news via print media.

Everyone I work with is addicted to TV.  By that I mean those so-called reality shows and celebrity "news" programs. Of course, some of the queans are equally addicted to their 'Soaps' - something that I have never been able to grasp or understand.  Real life contains enough drama and I get no comfort from that, so these fictional drama shows bore me to tears.

I am not interested in gossip - never have been. That puts me at odds with almost everyone around;  those who lap it up and those who just like to spread juicy bits of trash around for attention.

Sometimes I am grateful not to have TV programs in my life.  I can do without following the lives of Lohan, Spears, the Kardasians (sp?) whoever the Hell they are, Sheen, Snooky (sp?), Hilton, and the like. At work one of the bartenders puts on the afternoon news out of Philadelphia.  It infuriates me to see stories about these people sandwiched between news from Japan, or the wars. (You can forget about the Gulf, that's old news now.) If there is good TV around I haven't heard about it.  Sports?  Fuggetaboutit!

Dancing with wannabees or has-beens? Trump-a-thon? I don't think so. Who wants to watch train wrecks? Not my taste. At. All.

That said, I would enjoy PBS and BBC science, nature, and history programs but it's a non-starter for now. Not in the budget and even if I could cough up the payments for the most basic of basic services, I would receive only network, local, and one PBS channel, so there's that.

Local news programming has one good side:  it is so bad, it's actually funny to sit, sip a martini, and watch (and listen) to their continuing flow of blunders, stupid remarks, and inability to pronounce names of local towns.  Still that's too high a price to pay for occasional entertainment.

So, I remain unplugged (no wisecracks, please) for now.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. If you really wanted to watch TV you would be doing it through your computer...

    So much of today's programming is available online now...

    Back to the first line of my comment, and you aren't missing much (except of course, for GLEE)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We gave up TV/Cable for one whole year, as an experiment, once. We had an entire library of movies on DVD and 4 of 5 TV series in their entirety as well. So we could sill sit down and watch something, but only things we really wanted to see with intention, no flipping endlessly through channels or sitting through stupid commercials or news propaganda. We spent far less time in front of the set and enjoyed what we did actually sit down to watch. Husband decided to get cable again when we moved and got a cable/phone/internet package deal. I wish we had never gotten cable again. I miss not having TV in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My view exactly! I've never lived in a home with cable or satellite TV in my life and don't miss it. Now, I get one channel (sometimes two) on my TV with rabbit ears and rarely watch it. All my work colleagues seem obsessed with some of their favourite TV programs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Local news programming has one good side... I didn't know Fox was local. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No TV is very commendable.

    I too like PBS and BBC.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...