Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New LG Phone Works - Its Alive!

To be fair it has been working OK since Monday.  Incompatibility issues between the SIM cards of Motorola and LG are what I was told caused the daily glitches. 

Seriously, I was on the phone with Tracfone support daily from Wednesday til this past Sunday evening, when all the codes (most entered by me) fell into place. Activated the new phone Wednesday and the old number transferred without a hitch - but the remaining minutes didn't, which made the phone useless until that happened. The 3200+ minutes transferred on Thursday, but I could only receive messages, not send.  Attempts at outgoing calls left me with "Service Unavailable" messages every time.  Friday after another 2 hours with tech support we learned that the carrier side (AT&T or Verizon) was not picking up outgoing signals from the LG.  The additional codes were entered and 12 hours later, I had no service at all.

After work Sunday, without my AS cocktail, I raced home to call tech support before they shutdown at 5 pm. Now let me just say that all the technicians at Tracfone were attentive and patient, but Mauricio was the best and most professional of the lot.   Eventually, I made a call that went through, he called my number and the cell phone rang.  Miracle of miracles.  Mauricio sympathized with me about texting on a standard numerical keyboard and bemoaned the fact that Tracfone has yet to offer phones with QWERTY keyboards.  Texting is more popular than Tracfone knows.

Monday, I was receiving texts and calls from the restaurant, and all is back to what passes as normal.

That said, I am not pleased with the LG brand.  The menus are embedded and the texting isn't as intuitive as with the Motorola. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Being 4 years newer, this model has more bells and whistles, many redundant and never used by me. (I think of this as tempting the mindless with the useless, but what do I know?)  Still, I'll learn and eventually get used to its quirks and limitations.  It will be fine for my needs. 

I am sure you tech-savvy types will get a howl out of this post and I am happy to have entertained you this day.  Let me say that I barely tolerate cell phones and turn mine off every chance I get. The last thing I want is for everyone to know my whereabouts 24/7 and the idea of a GPS sends shivers up & down my spine. I am a child of Robert Heinlein who warned of such devices and how YOU could be found anywhere at any time for any reason. Any. Reason. The wisdom of Lazarus Long embedded that in my brain long ago.

It is what it is.


And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I too spent hours on the phone with TracFone. Finally, we got the issue resolved. Frustrating certainly even though the support folks were trying to be as helpful as they could. I think it's the system they're working with and the coordination between the different carriers that are the problems. I'm glad you got it resolved now. BTW, iPhone are very intuitive. No learning curve. And, I never texted before (didn't think I needed it) but I do now, especially with coordinating work schedules with my co-workers at the hotel. Also a little texting with Grindr. Very helpful. Have a great weekend, sounds like you're settled in for awhile and no more frustrations other than the HORDE that is coming Bar the barn door Katie, they're coming!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...