Saturday, April 23, 2011

There Will be Music in the Air

As some of you may know, I am  a music lover with very eclectic tastes - aside from Rap - I appreciate many genres and artists. Being a gay man, I love musical theatre and had a 2,000+ vinyl collection dating back to the late 40s. In my previous life we had a top of the line multi-media center and a 50" television.  Bose surround sound and all the magic anyone could wish for to make the home music and viewing experience a real treat.

Well, all that disappeared after the breakup with the Ex getting everything except the CD collection, which he offhandedly told me, "oh, you can have those." No matter.  I was in no physical or emotional state to process what that would mean down the road. I learned later that my precious collection was sold at his "garage sale" and it tore my heart out. A few buyers offered to give them to me, but I have no turntable - yes - the Ex got those too.

Anyway, that's the past. For the past 4 years I have listened to music played on the player in the computer through rather old, but fairly good speakers.  Even so...

I received an email last week from American Express (a member since 1974) reminding me that I have accumulated many thousands of "points" by using my card.  I knew that Discover Card had a cash back rewards program and used it in the past to pay part of my balance, but this was a smack-in-the-face wake up call.

You see, I use those 2 credit cards to pay for all my monthly expenses.  All of them.  I use their money and keep what I have in the bank.  This is the best way I've learned to handle a budget.  At the end of each month I receive an itemized accounting of what I have spent and where the money has gone. Then, I always pay the amount due in full.  No interest is charged.

OK, so this Amex email suggests that I "treat" myself to a luxury item using the accrued points, and lists a few retailers from which to choose.   So I hunted down a Sony shelf-stereo system, keyed in the information about the points, discovered the unit was on sale (I love sales!) and then found out that I had enough points to cover the price and shipping with points left over.  O.M.G!

Sometime this coming week there will be a new addition to the household. Music!  From a real component system. It will even play iPods!  Not that I have, or want one.  I am thrilled beyond measure. The music I've waited so long to hear again is already stacked in a queue.

The ongoing cell phone saga will wait for another day.

And so it goes.
*

5 comments:

  1. As you know (and probably don't want to hear again) this is one gay man who does not like musical theater but I am glad that you will now be able to indulge your passion for the 'break out in song" (or is it 'talking a song' a la Rex Harrison?) Just a reminder, the iPhones have an iPod in them. That's a Two-Fer you should probably take into consideration when buying a new cell phone. I know, I know...you can't afford it. Just putting the information out there for you should you come to that point someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. W, just go your own way. If you have a camera, a music system and a computer... you don't need an i-Whatever.

    I use my cell-phone only for emergencies or a short call. When I want to hear music while I'm on my way I humm or sing [under my breath] and pictures... a small flat camera will do the trick.

    Ron, it has nothing to do with money but only with priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The iPhone is more than a phone. It keeps all your appointments at once place, is a GPS, contacts, takes great pictures and also bakes a great pot roast! I hear they're working on an app for massaging your feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your tunes (and maybe dance a little)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Peter: That's exactly how I feel. The last thing I want in my life is a small device that lets everyone know where I am at any given moment. Robert Heinlein warned us of this evil machine. The cell was purchased for emergencies, until I took the job at DL. I am not a fan of personal music devices either. I like hearing the world around me. When I listen to music I want to hear only that. The only thing I would change is the desktop PC for a laptop (a future purchase).

    @Ron: Oh yes, I have so many important appointments and they are kept in one place, too. It's called a calendar - 1 on the wall and 1 in my organizer. And, of course, they are full, I tell you, FULL! I own 3 great cameras, at least 2 of which take better pics than an iAnything.
    Don't even think of messing with my pot roast recipe. And who wants a machine to massage their feet? Bitch, please!

    @Will: Whattya mean "a little"??? When that thing arrives I'll be pounding the pecan floor for hours. All that pent up energy, it's gotta go somewhere.

    Thanks for the comments, guys.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...