Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring, Fog, and Being Alive

A thick fog hung over the town as I made my walk to work yesterday.  Everything was quiet. One could hear the drops of water fall to the pavement from the drooping leaves and blossoms on the trees. The ocean was hidden from view. A light breeze caused the fog to swirl in slow dancing patterns and it felt grand to feel at one with nature.

Very little human activity around and even the bakery, usually buzzing with people getting their morning fix of sugar and caffeine, was empty.  The owners waved as I walked by. I waved back.

The fog hung around until mid-afternoon, but the peace and quiet remained all day.  Everyone was subdued in voice and actions.  Almost to the point of being spooky. On the walk home I noticed the results of lots of work in front yard gardens and more green than the day before.  Apparently nature loves a good, heavy fog. The hyacinths leaning heavy with dew in the morning, were standing straight up and smelling heavenly as I walked through them. The tulips everywhere are about to bloom, including those in the planters in front of the restaurant.

For some unknown reason I skipped the A/S drink. I guess I just wanted to be outdoors again. Made a martini at home and sat on the porch steps listening to the sounds of the birds around me and in the bamboo stand next door.

No noise, no screaming, no ill-tempered humans, no annoying phone calls. A very peace-filled day and one that made me feel happy to be alive. Days like this are rare anymore. 

Today is another day.  The weekend is upon us and it's Palm Sunday weekend.  Many folks will be in town getting their places ready for summer...I suppose yesterday was the quiet before the storm. I am grateful to have had the chance to indulge and enjoy it.  I am sure I will enjoy today, as well.

More later.
*

2 comments:

  1. First off , WHAT A PHOTO! You have a special skill to notice and capture such beauty.

    The tree is not a dogwood. (B.S. in Botany talking here.) UNLESS you did a lot of copying and pasting to make it look fuller. Or if you took a black and white photo and re-shot it with a gel filter making all the leaves the same color as blossoms. Dogwood blossoms are mostly situated on the tops of limbs. Or if the limbs droop, the blossoms are to the outside.

    I site a technicality. NO WAY does it detract from your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and compliment. I don't believe I wrote that this is a dogwood tree. I don't know what kind of tree it is. Perhaps with your background you would know more.

    There is no manipulation to the photo, the tree lives directly across the street from my building and is a stunning bit of nature to behold.

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...