Saturday, April 30, 2011

Music, Music, Music!

The Sony box was waiting on the porch when I got in last evening, but I was bone-tired and thought I'd set it up today.  After a hot shower, however, I thought differently.

With fresh olives in hand, I followed directions for the very basic setup (without the remote, which is pretty useless, anyway) so as to have delicious music as I prepped supper. 

Will, a commenter, asked what CD I would play first.  Although I had a stack queued up I chose something completely different.  The image at left is the cover of the first disc to play and it's one of my faves.  I was surprised to find an entry on Wikipedia.  But there it is...Gershwin Plays Gershwin, The Piano Rolls.***  It's like having George in the living room playing live.  It contains the most kick-ass version of The Rhapsody in Blue ever recorded (and why not?  it's played by the composer!) and cheered me as I did the cooking thing.

I remembered the first time I heard the piece with only the 2 pianos (I was 9) and when I heard it with full Jazz orchestra (at age 14)  and how each thrilled me in different ways.  I remembered Bernstein's arrangement with the New York Philharmonic knocked my socks off, but that was a few years later.

It's a pleasure to have music around again.

This evening, as I finish the grandmother's pot roast recipe - with garlic roasted red potatoes and asparagus salad,  I'll be listening to Enya, keeping the mood light and, well, gay.  Always a good thing.

***If you love the music of Gershwin I heartily recommend this recording for your own library.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous! You have music! Good choice for the first selection. I LOVE GERSWHIN! You do have good taste after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your history with the piece and that you chose it to reintroduce music into your home.

    Also, thank you for the tip on the Gershwin Plays Gerswhin: The Piano Rolls.

    And now you can dance -- carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night we had a martini called the English Garden - Hendrik's gin with some mashed cucumber. Wonderful
    I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ron: Remind me to slap you when you get back from your swing through the south. ;-)

    @Will: Glad you liked the link. It is a fascinating technology and listening to George actually "play" George is always a treat.

    And yes, I will be careful dancing in my tiny space, not through doorways, just in the same room. Tiny choreography is called for here.

    @Spo: Isn't it refreshing? Hendricks already has the cucumber scent and flavor, but the pureed, fresh cucumbers add just the right touch. I hope it wasn't chunky.

    Did they include a bit of black or white pepper?

    And thanks for thinking of me. That's very kind of you.

    Thanks for the comments and for stopping by, guys.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...