Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Overdue Visit to Medical Clinic

At 2 am I woke unable to breathe and without thinking, grabbed for the tissues.  Glad I did. What followed was the grand-daddy of all nose-bleeds.  After 10 minutes of nose-pinching it finally stopped and I was able to sit up in bed, not lie down, and attempt to sleep again. Didn't work too well. 

I tried to visit the emergency medical clinic last weekend after work, but the place was packed (mostly with moms and small children) G*d knows what I may have contracted had I stayed. Although it was pouring rain, the temperatures were warmer so I dragged my sorry self to the clinic early this morning. I was first in line and taken in immediately for examination when the doors opened.

The upshot is a serious sinus infection. I must stop taking any anti-inflammatory meds, including the arthritis scrip, even the lowly aspirin. All blood thinners.  A scrip for  an antibiotic was emailed to the pharmacy as I sat on the exam table and ready for pick-up when I arrived, as if on cue.  I have never heard of this one - Cephalexin - but there are so many I am not surprised.   It wasn't too expensive, either, so that was a plus. One tab thrice daily - every 8 hours and no cheating. The regime will be 6 am, 2 pm, and 10 pm.

I am not to honk my nose for 24 hours and only dab when necessary.  You know that just because I can't, I want to anyway, but...I don't want a repeat of last night. To keep the area from getting dry and irratated, I am to apply Vaseline to the inside of both nostrils. Oh, and no exertion allowed.  Lifting and bending are out of the question.

Scary time, indeed, and frightfully annoying.  Now that I am home, it's raining much harder, so I couldn't do anything on my day off, anyway.  I'll change into sweats and make a bit of lunch. Maybe I'll watch a movie DVD to pass the time. 

I don't like being bored. I don't like being sick

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Put your feet up, have a cup of tea and read a book.

    That's what my doctor ordered this morning, and almost no walking. [have 3 holes in my feet again, which need rest] What applies to feet can apply to a bleeding nose too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That antibiotic did wonders for my bladder infection; it's a new one and my doctor says very effective without any side effects which I found to be true.

    Get well soon and keep cold packs on your forehead which helps with the bleeding. I didn't know you were taking aspirin but that's notorious as a blood thinner and can cause bad nose-bleeds. Glad you're getting the help you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Peter: That's exactly what I am doing, though more water than tea. Sorry to hear about your foot problem. You face more challenges daily than I do. Your courage and stamina boost me at all times, my friend. Be well and listen to your doctor! ;-)

    @sixtyfivealive: Thanks for the drug info. I am leery about these drugs and your input has put my mind somewhat at ease. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...