Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Every Day in Every Way, Im Getting Better and Better


The pre-school reopened yesterday (bless their little hearts!) as the young working parents made a lot of noise to impress the little darlings in a futile attempt to convince them their first day would be like a day at Disney World.  The kids weren't buying any of it. These folks arrived in BMWs, Mercedes, Audi's, Volvo's (all SUVs or wagons, mind you) and now I understand why both parents need to work.  Of course, since these families belong to the church that sponsors the school, they pay no tuition.  Nothing! It was through this maelstrom; double-parked vehicles and screeching tots that I had to zig-zag to continue my walk. 

That said, the walk yesterday morning was a hell of a lot easier than the walk home the night before. Another crisp and clear Autumn morning and as my gait remained a bit slow, I wasn't out of breath when I got to work. 

The guy I'm training to cover while I'm away was waiting for me.  He has a key and so I allowed him to show me what he remembered about getting the place open. He did very well - only missed a couple of things, one of them really important.  So I made a point of insisting he come back and do it again for me on Thursday.

That will work out well, (a nice segue, huh!) since I see the Oncologist at 7:45 am that morning and there's a possibility I will need to be transfused again.  Each unit of blood takes about 1.5 hours to be absorbed, (download?) so if I need 2 units that's 3 hours and I will make it in time to open the doors.  Yes, cutting it close, but I warned the locos guys that I would let them know if the transfusion was going to happen.

Treated myself to a Angus burger (not on the staff menu) plain, with a little mustard and A-1 sauce. Sense of taste has yet to return in full, but it went down well and I felt better afterwards, though shaky.

I was on the wobbly/weak side all day, began to feel feverish and headachy around 3 pm, but made it to the end of my shift. The walk home was not pleasant with the head throbbing, eyes burning, I walked as slow and gingerly as I could.  The really hard part was climbing the stairs to the apartment.  But, I dood'it.  I did the icepack thingy again which seemed to help. 

I am off today and tomorrow with only 2 errands that must be run. I should be back by lunch time. Other than that, I am staying home and resting. I don't feel like cooking - nothing sounds appetizing without a sense of taste - so I'll just choose something simple to prepare for supper tonight.

Summer has returned for an encore performance this week with temps (and humidity) steadily rising into the 90s by Friday. Doesn't matter, my focus is on getting better before next Tuesday at 10 am.  Just get that bird into the sky and bring her down safely in crawfish country, that's all I ask.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Oh I know that "wobbly" feeling well. I'm not feeling as wobbly as I was a few days ago. Each day, I sense small increments of improvement. I wanted to ask you about that steep climb you have to take to your third story aerie. Won't be long now until you're off in that Big Bird in the Sky to NOLA land. The timing couldn't be better. Nothing like a little R & R to get the juices flowing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron: my apartment is on the second floor - but it IS 17 steep steps, you got that right.

    Instead of getting the juices to flow, I'd settle for some blood flowing and replenishing.

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...