Monday, September 9, 2013

Not There Yet - Random Thoughts


The day started out OK, shared a little Face-time with Ron before heading out.  The walk went well, albeit slow due to the continued weakness in my legs. I made it. It was a great beach day, so we weren't busy.  Fine with me. I did OK for most of the day, though I fatigue came upon me around 2:30 pm and a low grade fever hit me an hour later, so I was sent home.  The boss was happily surprised that I lasted almost the entire day. 

Took the walk home really slow as my eyes began to water and burn.  By the time I arrived at the apartment the eyes were on fire. Threw some ice in a zip bag, wrapped it in a towel, placed it over my eyes and relaxed (as much as possible) in bed. Half hour later the burning was gone, but the fever lingered. I took a couple of Tylenol and went back to bed.

Finally got out of bed to have a bite to eat at 6 PM, turned on the living room lights and took a look around the apartment for the first time in weeks.  No, really. Sick and struggling to keep awake and vertical takes all one's energy and I've had no time, or reason, to look around.

Found the Travel Pro lying on the sofa with main compartment gaping wide open ready to receive holiday attire. Shirts and slacks ironed, hung and ready for packing, the shorts and ultra-light cargo pants/shorts will go in before the others. Socks and undergarments are already packed and the Dopp Kit and daypack will go in just before the shirts and slacks. 

A small group of old NOLA friends have planned an evening of fine, elegant dining on my last night, but unless someone has a sport jacket to fit me, I won't be attending. Or, they'll chose another venue. I don't mind dressing up, but even Galatoire's doesn't require jackets unless you want to be seated on the main floor. If there is no one close to my body type, I might suggest "Remoulade" a semi-casual restaurant owned and operated by Arnaud's, which has a great menu and extensive oyster bar.  We shall see.

Meanwhile, I slept OK, except for massive sweats overnight when the fever finally broke. Changed bed linens and tee-shirts and went back to bed. Feel a little stronger this morning so , not to overdo it, I've had a coffee, breakfast and will have a yogurt before leaving for work.

Taking stock of camera accessories for the trip, I realized that the Canon DSLR (gifted to me) didn't arrive with an extra battery or the AC wall charger. So I went shopping on Amazon just now and found what I needed at half the price listed at the Canon site.  The best part is that there are no wires, the battery slides into the charger which then plugs directly into the wall outlet. Small and compact.  

While on the subject (and on the hunt anyway) I remembered the excursion on the Kalmar Nyckel revealed the limitations posed by the original lens (18 to 55 mm) I searched for a better, more extensive zoom lens. Many were either too heavy and bulky, or way beyond anything I would spend.  Years ago I used to lug around  a huge camera bag stuffed with various lenses for all kinds of situations.  I am no longer so inclined; needs have changed. Found the exact lens I was looking for(again, at Amazon) in a Tamron 18 to 200 mm lens with a $20.00 rebate.  Same wide angle as the original lens, but with a zoom range to 200 mm which is comfortable and still hand-holdable in most cases. It's compact design looks comfortable since it is around the same size as the original lens, with only a slightly larger (about 4 mm) barrel diameter.  The many reviews rated the lens at a 4 or 5 out of 5, and offered other information that novice users of DSLRs can share.  Yes, I ordered both of the above.  They will be delivered tomorrow. (I love Amazon Prime.)  

The restaurant is closed for Lunch Tuesday and Wednesday, now that the season is over. At this time that is very good news to me,  I get 2 days of rest.

Still no word from the sister.  I tried calling her again, but no answer. Maybe she's decided she'd rather not get together after all. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.  No more letters, but I try to get her by phone throughout the week. 

Time to take this act on the road. I'll be training someone to handle my duties while I'm away. This guy should have no problem with the basics. 

Hope today ends better than yesterday

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. I'm no doctor (nor do I play one on TV) but I did question you going back to work so soon. My medical situation wasn't as serious as yours and yet I still am not at full strength (which was explained to me by my urologist this morning who said my kidney was still swollen from the trauma of last week).

    I do think it was good for you to get out and at least semi-return to normal activity. I have a feeling your trip to NOLA is exactly right at this time in your life for more than one reason, both mentally and physically. You need a break. Oh do you ever need a break.

    I hope you continue to regain your strength and soon return to your old (and you are you know) sassy, take no prisoners self.

    Good health to you my friend!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was nice of the dos locos boyz to let you depart. you still need your rest, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you are in New Orleans, you should visit "Tropical Isle" on Bourbon St. They have an fabulous cocktail that has taken off called "Hand Grenade", but you should have only one. Very powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...