Friday, September 20, 2013

In The Belly Of Burlesque and Baroque

Since my arrival Tuesday more time has been spent in bed in the room than anywhere else. Sad to say, being plagued by annoying, even low grade fevers does not make for a good time.

I have ventured out at least once daily to peruse a few shops and visit a few old haunts for lunch or dinner.  By far the best roast beef po-boy  (old style -sliced, not shredded- ) goes to the Napoleon House, using the exact recipe for beef and seasoned gravy that I remember from years ago. More on that another time. (can't insert the photo, so if you're a FB friend, check it out there.)

Found a few cool shirts I would like to try on and maybe bring home, but I didn't have the energy then. I'll give it another shot today.  I also must find a hat. Bactrim doesn't like sun, and the sun here, when it's out is unforgiving, and brutal. So far relaxing in a courtyard hasn't been an option, if you get my drift.

Devoured a delicious seafood platter last evening. Shrimp, oysters,  alligator, catfish, hush puppies, homemade Cajun slaw, garlic aioli, and local tartar sauce,  I was three steps closer to heaven.

This morning is a toss up between beignets at  Cafe du Monde, or full Southern breakfast at the best lil'ol dive in the Quarter, Clover Grill.  It's been open 24/7 since before I was born, and a place we used to meet after a night at the bars.  We'll, it IS on Bourbon St., after all. It's one place that has certainly seen everything this town has to offer.

Fever is down to 99.6 this morning and it's time to shower, shave, and try getting this show on the road.

Spoke with the sister yesterday. She no longer has a car, is on a walker, and preparing for another hospitalization. Seeing her may not be an option since she moved to another town east of NOLA. No way to get there by public transportation, so we'll see what happens.

The whole group shindig is set for tomorrow afternoon/evening. Meeting three friends for breakfast at the Coffee Pot in the morning.  Too confusing to explain at present.

Oh, and for whatever reason, I've lost another 2pounds. No idea what that's about.

Please forgive the errors, this post is being composed on the iPad, and it's the first  attempt for this old guy.

And so it goes.
*
Note:Monsoon rains followed by bright clear skies every day. New Orleans in September.

4 comments:

  1. even though you have been ill, it STILL sounds like fun. if you buy shirts and hat, you MUST model for us!

    beignets a la café du monde - how I wish I were there with you to nosh on those lovely fried creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you arrived safe and sound in NOLA. Even though you're still plagued by that annoying fever, it sounds like you're enjoying your holiday. Never been to NOLA but hope to some day. Passed up a chance in the early 60's (a luscious hunk invited me) and I've regretted it ever since.

    Get that hat! I'm surprised you went without one.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about the food brings back the good memories. My trips to New Orleans were no fun back in the day I worked for Popeyes and during Mardi Gras spent 15 hours aday with my hands either in batter or pouring drinks on Canal St.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...